POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading : Re: Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jul 2012 09:37:08
Message: <4ff6ea04$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.07.2012 12:48, schrieb Warp:

> Maybe it should display two numbers: "Overall PPS" and "Current PPS".
> The latter one would be the average of the last n pixels (where n would
> be something small, such as 10).

As of 3.7 that would perfectly useless, as render results (and thus
progress) are reported to the frontend in blocks of (IIRC) typically
32x32 = 1024 pixels. Even the time between incoming render blocks would
be a bad basis, as they may come in a pretty irregular pattern depending
on how well the threads remain in sync. I think the average over the
last N render blocks, where N is the number of render threads, would be
the minimum reasonable value.