POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CGI Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:30 EDT (-0400)
  CGI (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: CGI
Date: 24 Jun 2012 17:20:10
Message: <4fe7848a$1@news.povray.org>
When I first got into computer graphics, "3D" meant a white wire-frame
on a black background. Because that's just about all the video hardware
could handle.

Later on, I got to work with programs like Expert 4D, Imagine 3D, Real
3D, Cinema 4D and so on. All of these run on the Commodore Amiga, and
(with the exception of Real 3D) they all draw polygons with texturing
and light sourcing, and maybe shadows. Mostly they are distinguished by
their particular mesh editing abilities and texturing options. Imagine
3D has a special "ray tracing" mode, in which reflections work (but only
if the objects are added to the scene in the correct order), and sadly
it makes the render about 45x slower.

Remember that the Amiga is powered by the Motorola 68000 series, and may
or may not have an FPU installed. My dad's Amiga 600 took about 2 hours
to render a single torus mesh with one point light source and a simple
wood-grain procedural texture. It was slow times, my friend, slow times.
(Amiga 600 = M68000 running at 7.09 MHz and no FPU.)

Real 3D allows spherical spheres, conical cones, and so forth, plus it
has CSG. It also has a nasty GUI that makes it really fiddly to actually
select the thing you want. The named hierachy of objects is useful though.

Then along came the rise of graphics cards, and with them a whole
industry of drawing texture-mapped polygons really, really fast. I
played all of Quake II without a 3D graphics card. Because, remember,

when we bought it - on finance, obviously.) Nobody has that kind of
money laying around. Well, not in 1995 anyway.

I still remember playing Quake II with hardware acceleration for the
first time, and being amazed at the glory of trilinear filtering and
coloured light sources. (And framerates exceeding 10 FPS.) If that
sounds silly, try playing without those things, and you'll quickly see
what I mean!

(I was also surprised when the game /didn't/ take 20 minutes to load
each level. I had assumed it was normal for it to take so long;
apparently it was just our PC's 16MB of RAM causing massive swapping!)

And then, of course, I discovered POV-Ray. While computer games amuse
themselves drawing polygons really, really fast, POV-Ray directly
simulates things like curved surfaces, 3D textures, reflection,
refraction, and so forth.

I wrote elaborate Pascal programs to draw wireframe models, to perform a
backface cull, and to do simple Gouraud shading, do rotations, and so
forth. In game graphics, more sophisticated trickery is used to fake
curved surfaces, rough textures, and even reflections.

POV-Ray uses no such trickery. It just directly solves the rendering
problem, in a simple and elegant way. Every now and then somebody would
pop up and say "why bother with POV-Ray when a modern graphics card can
easily out-do it?" But the example images offered never looked anywhere
near as good as what a few lines of code with POV-Ray could produce.

The SDL user interface is radical in its own way too. With a visual
modeller, it would be ridiculously difficult to position a sphere so
that it exactly coincides with the end of a cylinder. With SDL, it's
trivial. Complex shapes can be built up using nothing but perfect
geometric primitives. And if you apply a wood texture, surfaces with
different orientations show different grain in the correct way. You
can't do /that/ with 2D pixel maps. And let's not forget, of course,
that if bump maps just don't cut it for you, with an isosurface you can
make genuinely curved geometry. (Although the render time explodes...)

Then of course, computers keep getting faster. POV-Ray added photon
maps. It added radiosity. It added area lights. It added focal blur,
atmospheric media, and dispersion. Ever more rendering power, requiring
ever longer to draw, but computers keep getting faster.

(The old benchmark, skyvase.pov, used to take /hours/ to render. My
current PC rips through it at previously unthinkable resolutions in a
just second or two.)

Now, however, I sense that the tables have turned. Once it seems that
scanline renderers went through all sorts of elaborate tricks to try to
simulate constructs that POV-Ray just renders directly, physically
correctly, without any tricks or gimmicks. It just directly simulates
the laws of optics, and all these individual effects are just an
automatic result of that.

But now we have the so-called unbiased renderers, the path tracers,
whatever you want to call them. With POV-Ray I need to configure photon
maps and set up area lights and waste hours tweaking and tuning
radiosity parameters. And then I see a demo that runs IN A FRIGGING WEB
BROWSER which uses my GPU to almost instantly render a Cornell box that
would take multiple hours to draw with POV-Ray.

Now the boot is on the other foot: These renderers just shoot lots and
lots of rays in all directions, and average the results. The longer you
run it, the sharper the image becomes. No tweaking parameters, no
setting up different simulations for different aspects of the result.
Just tell it what to draw, and wait until it looks good enough. All the
effects fall out of the simulation; they don't have to be configured
individually.

I will freely admit, however, that almost all of the actual demo images
are still suspiciously grainy. Which suggests that for "real" scenes,
rendering still isn't instant. For example,

http://tinyurl.com/87oyfmh

You'd need some insane radiosity settings to get that out of POV-Ray.
I'm not sure if it's even /possible/ to get that glow around the light
sources. On the other hand, no one can deny the image is slightly grainy
in places.

And then I see something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/7r72o7k

At first glance, this is an amazing, near-photographic image. And then I
notice THE POLYGONS! IT BURNS!!! >_< KILL IT WITH FIRE!

It seems that while these renderers have vastly superior lighting
capabilities, they're still stuck in the obsolete technology of drawing
lots and lots and lots of tiny flat surfaces and desperately trying to
pretend that they're actually curved. Yuk!

If only there was a way I could use [something like] SDL to control a
GPU-powered renderer that has all the great features of POV-Ray, yet has
a modern illumination system...

Now here's an interesting question: Does anybody know how this stuff
actually /works/?

In the simplest form, it seems that for each pixel, you shoot a ray
backwards, and let it bounce off things at random angles (subject to how
rough or smooth the materials are) until it finds a light source. For
one ray, the result is pretty random. But average together a few
bazillion rays, and slowly the random speckle converges to a beautiful,
smooth (but slightly grainy) image.

Trouble is, depending on what your light sources are like, the vast
majority of rays will never hit one. It's an old problem; you can start
from the lights and worry about never hitting the camera, or you can
start from the camera and worry about never hitting the lights. POV-Ray
and its ilk solve this problem by "knowing" exactly where all the light
sources are and shooting rays directly at them. But this misses any
light reflected from other surfaces - even trivial specular reflections.
(Hence, photon maps or radiosity.)

You can force it so the last bounce /always/ hits a known light source.
(Or, the other direction, the last ray always hits the camera.)
Apparently "bidirectional path tracing" works by starting one end from
the camera, the other end from a light source, and forcing them to
connect in the middle.

Wikipedia asserts "Contrary to popular myth, Path Tracing is /not/ a
generalisation of ray tracing." This statement makes no sense
whatsoever. :-P

Then there's this whole idea of "unbiased rendering". The general idea
is that, while any individual ray shot might produce any old colour, /in
average/ each pixel's colour will converge to the physically correct
one. The term comes from statistics. A statistical estimator may or may
not be "consistent", and may or may not be "unbiased". Does /anybody/
understand the difference? Because I sure as hell don't!

Then today, I made the grave mistake of attempting to understand
"Metropolis light transport".

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/metro/gamma-fixed/metro.pdf

Does this paper make /any/ sense to anybody?

In particular, the basic idea is that, rather than tracing /random/ ray
paths, you start with a random path, and then gradually "adjust" it,
such that each path is similar to the previous one. This immediately
raises two important questions:

1. How does this not utterly bias the calculation, greatly favouring one
set of paths rather than exploring the entire path space?

2. Why does this produce superior results?

The actual mathematics is too dense for me to follow. In particular,
it's difficult to follow the physical significance of some of the terms
and notations.

I'd almost be tempted to write a renderer myself - except that running
on a CPU, it will undoubtedly take several billion millennia to draw
anything. (There's a /reason/ nobody has tried this until today...)

Post a reply to this message

Andy, andy... you won't be getting much popularity here tossing around these
rough arguments...

> And then, of course, I discovered POV-Ray.

you discovered povray after Cinema 4D and quake... okey, dokey...

> While computer games amuse
> themselves drawing polygons really, really fast, POV-Ray directly
> simulates things like curved surfaces, 3D textures, reflection,
> refraction, and so forth.

yeah, now put povray to directly simulate the curved surfaces of a woman's body.

You may use parametric surfaces if writing the right isosurface function is
proving too much of a challenge.

> But now we have the so-called unbiased renderers, the path tracers,
> whatever you want to call them. With POV-Ray I need to configure photon
> maps and set up area lights and waste hours tweaking and tuning
> radiosity parameters. And then I see a demo that runs IN A FRIGGING WEB
> BROWSER which uses my GPU to almost instantly render a Cornell box that
> would take multiple hours to draw with POV-Ray.

Truth be told, a cornell box today doesn't take even a minute in povray...

> I will freely admit, however, that almost all of the actual demo images
> are still suspiciously grainy. Which suggests that for "real" scenes,
> rendering still isn't instant. For example,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/87oyfmh

Scenes like that may take several hours on CPU, just like raytraced scenes in
the old days.

> You'd need some insane radiosity settings to get that out of POV-Ray.
> I'm not sure if it's even /possible/ to get that glow around the light
> sources.

the glow most likely is just a post-processing 2D effect.

> On the other hand, no one can deny the image is slightly grainy
> in places.

I prefer film grain rather than ugly splotches every corner.  Also, a  night
shot like that will look noisy in an actual photograph too.  You either get the
best lenses possible or let it render for more time to gather more light
samples.

> And then I see something like this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7r72o7k
>
> At first glance, this is an amazing, near-photographic image. And then I
> notice THE POLYGONS! IT BURNS!!! >_< KILL IT WITH FIRE!

I don't note any polygons in particular, but the surfaces are all too flat and
regular, denouncing it as CG.  Luxrender, like povray these days, is
conspicuously lacking in true artists rather than programmers trying to show off
the software.

That scene, I believe, took about 1 day or 2 to be that smooth if memory serves
me well...

This is a better scene, from an artist I truly enjoy, Enrico Cerica:

http://enricocerica.cgsociety.org/gallery/962953/

Modeled in Blender, rendered in Octane, a commercial path tracer that runs
exclusively on GPU.

Truly a photograph of a virtual environment.

> Now here's an interesting question: Does anybody know how this stuff
> actually /works/?
>
> In the simplest form, it seems that for each pixel, you shoot a ray
> backwards, and let it bounce off things at random angles (subject to how
> rough or smooth the materials are) until it finds a light source. For
> one ray, the result is pretty random. But average together a few
> bazillion rays, and slowly the random speckle converges to a beautiful,
> smooth (but slightly grainy) image.

http://www.pbrt.org/

The book explains all and source code for the renderer is GPLed.  In fact, it's
the base for Luxrender.

> Wikipedia asserts "Contrary to popular myth, Path Tracing is /not/ a
> generalisation of ray tracing." This statement makes no sense
> whatsoever. :-P

To me pathtracing looks as much of a generalisation of raytracing as raytracing
was of raycasting (which BTW, is progressively being more used in games for
things like LOD management).  But I believe they were talking about how it is
not simply raytracing with (possibly) infinite ray bouncing.

> Does this paper make /any/ sense to anybody?

certainly not to someone without the particular math and rationale insight. :)

> I'd almost be tempted to write a renderer myself - except that running
> on a CPU, it will undoubtedly take several billion millennia to draw
> anything. (There's a /reason/ nobody has tried this until today...)

No, just a few hours or days like povray back in 1990's.

Post a reply to this message