POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. (Message 43 to 52 of 72)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
Date: 8 Jun 2012 20:11:55
Message: <4fd294cb$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 23:24:24 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> There is no magical "tool" which can correctly guess what is hidden
>>> behind a solid object.
>>
>> No, but if you have a picture that shows what's behind a solid object,
>> then you can in fact mask out the object.
>
> Sure. That I can believe. Doing it from just one photo isn't so easy.

I never claimed it was done from one photo.  Apparently I wasn't clear on
that point.

>> That's not been my experience.  It is possible to seek out the
>> important facts before making a decision.
>>
>> Business intelligence systems do exactly that, in fact.
>
> Doesn't BI involve paying vast sums of money to /collect/ the necessary
> information?

Not always (in my experience, not often).

BI involves collecting sales data and information about purchases in a
lot of cases.  That's data that retail establishments and sales forces
have as a result of actually selling stuff.

>>> Statements like this make me wonder where this vast endless source of
>>> "easy" counter-examples is... It's as if the entire world knows
>>> something that I don't.
>>
>> How to properly use google?<scnr>
>
> You laugh, but this is actually non-trivial.

Not in my experience.  But then again, when I was in high school selling
software and computer books, I was often amazed when people would grab a
book of the shelf and just flip through it to find what they were looking
for, rather than looking in the index or TOC first.

I always would start doing word association on the topic and go straight
to the index.

>> Well, there's also the question of your unwillingness to go where the
>> work is
>
> I live in a city with a population of 200,000 people, and an
> unemployment rate well below the national average. /Clearly/ there are
> jobs here. I just need to find them.

You've also stated (in the past, maybe it's changed) that you hate living
there except that it's logically laid out and you can find stuff easily.

But yeah, there are probably jobs there, just perhaps not in the fields
you're interested in.

When you start filtering by too many criteria, you end up with no
options.  The logical thing to do when that happens is to relax some of
the criteria, such as where you're willing to look or what you're willing
to take as a job.

>> or your unwillingness to believe that anyone on the planet who works a
>> "normal" job makes enough to live on.
>
> Uh, when did I say that?

It's been a couple of years probably, when you and I were talking about
it being good for you to move out of your mum's place.  You asserted that
it simply isn't possible for anyone to make enough money to buy a house
or rent a flat, regardless of all evidence to the contrary.

>> Heck, I was laid off last May.  I didn't work again until October, and
>> it's been contract work ever since.  A couple of really tight months
>> financially, but we haven't lost the house and are still paying all the
>> bills.
>
> Then clearly you are a far better person than I am.

I had a reasonable severance package, and my contract rate is decent -
not outstanding, but decent.  There are some things we're not willing to
give up, like eating out fairly regularly (which is expensive).

> One time my sister got laid off. 5 days later, she was on the phone
> complaining that of the 3 written job offers she had received from the 5
> interviews she attended, she couldn't decide which one sounded the
> nicest.

I had hoped for a situation like that.  It didn't happen.  I actually had
an interview the week after the layoff, but I was so badly out of
practice that I blew it by starting a conversation about pay and
benefits.  That comes when an offer is made, not at the start of the
conversation.

>>> Back atcha. ;-)
>>
>> It always makes me smile when you take a stand on something.  Even when
>> the stand isn't necessarily logical in my view.  You have changed in
>> that regard, and it's a good change.  :)
>
> It's good to be righteous. It's not so good when you're actually wrong.
> :-/

It's good practice.  The stakes ultimately are pretty low here, so it's a
largely safe environment to try stuff out and see what works and what
doesn't.

"Practice makes perfect" and all that.

>>> So there's a lot of people /on/ the site.
>>
>> And it stands to reason if it were a waste of time, people wouldn't
>> spend time on the site, would they?  (The point of LinkedIn isn't to
>> waste time, it's to build a professional network.  Facebook, OTOH, is
>> essentially there for people to waste time on so they can be the
>> 'product' sold to advertisers - the two aren't really equivalent).
>
> Yeah, I'm really not seeing how Facebook is still in business. It must
> cost /millions/ to run all those servers. And yet, their idea of
> "targeted adverts" is about as precise as a blunderbuss. It just seems
> like some day somebody is going to figure out the emperor's magical
> invisible suite is actually non-existent...

It may well - I understand they use SSD storage exclusively (local
company here in Utah called Fusion-IO provides the hardware,
apparently).  It's all about advertising, apparently.  Dunno how they
manage it with ad blockers and things like the fb purity, but I figure
that's not my problem.  If it goes away, I likely won't miss it.

>>> For example, how do you know that "millions" have found it useful?
>>> Not, say, "thousands"? The number of people on the site is not
>>> necessarily the number who have actually found it beneficial.
>>
>> It stands to reason that if it weren't beneficial, people would stop
>> using it.  After all, you didn't find it beneficial, and you stopped
>> using it.  That's actually a perfectly natural reaction.
>>
>> So are you assuming you're the only one who stopped using it because
>> you didn't find it beneficial?
>
> We'd need to see numbers for how many people signed up, and how many
> people subsequently left.

Perhaps.

> My profile is still live on the system. It looks like I'm still a
> Linked-In user. And yet, I haven't used it in 3 years. So don't use /my/
> presence as an indicator of usefulness.

Well, you also only have 7 connections, IIRC.  One of the useful things
to do, though, is to have someone you know introduce you to someone they
know.  That's how I ended up with an interview in Portland - a colleague
of mine in Florida knows the HR person at the company I applied to, and
he introduced me.  Within 2 weeks, I had an in-person interview.  Sadly,
they didn't feel that what they wanted out of my presentation was
provided by what I presented to them, and they were looking for a 100%
match.  They even said I was very well qualified, but that I "didn't
follow the instructions given" and "didn't show an appropriate amount of
enthusiasm and investment in the company".  The former I fault myself
for, for assuming I understood their instructions (and not insisting
earlier in the process of being told what I should be prepared to present
on); the latter, I fault them for, because corporate enthusiasm is
something that can be taught, and to reject a candidate because they
weren't bouncing off the walls about your product/service even though
they're highly qualified in the field is just silly.

> How many of the other profiles are ghosts? I guess that's the opportune
> question...
>
> Regarding Facebook: How many of those profiles are for somebody's cat?
> ;-)

Far, far too many.  I've got a friend on Facebook who has a page for her
African Grey parrot and for her dog.  I think her cat also has one, now I
think about it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 09/06/2012 12:57 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> That's what I remembered hearing - know offhand when they're airing?

'Fraid not.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> You laugh, but this is actually non-trivial.
>
> Not in my experience.

The double-negatives make this ambiguous.

> But then again, when I was in high school selling
> software and computer books, I was often amazed when people would grab a
> book of the shelf and just flip through it to find what they were looking
> for, rather than looking in the index or TOC first.

To be fair, depending on what you're looking for, the TOC may not be
that helpful. The index usually works though. It depends how badly put
together the book is.

>> I live in a city with a population of 200,000 people, and an
>> unemployment rate well below the national average. /Clearly/ there are
>> jobs here. I just need to find them.
>
> You've also stated (in the past, maybe it's changed) that you hate living
> there except that it's logically laid out and you can find stuff easily.

I don't hate living here, it's my favourite place. I hate living WITH MY
MUM, that's for sure. ;-)

> But yeah, there are probably jobs there, just perhaps not in the fields
> you're interested in.

Perhaps. I very much doubt anyone here wants computer programmers. But
the guy who looks after the computers? Surely any company that has a lot
of computers will want one of those. (Doesn't mean they need a new one
though...)

> When you start filtering by too many criteria, you end up with no
> options.  The logical thing to do when that happens is to relax some of
> the criteria, such as where you're willing to look or what you're willing
> to take as a job.

Sure. And if a job was in, say, Northampton, that would be fine.
Anything that's within a reasonable commuting distance of where I live.

>>> or your unwillingness to believe that anyone on the planet who works a
>>> "normal" job makes enough to live on.
>>
>> Uh, when did I say that?
>
> It's been a couple of years probably, when you and I were talking about
> it being good for you to move out of your mum's place.  You asserted that
> it simply isn't possible for anyone to make enough money to buy a house
> or rent a flat, regardless of all evidence to the contrary.

Interesting...

>> It's good to be righteous. It's not so good when you're actually wrong.
>> :-/
>
> It's good practice.  The stakes ultimately are pretty low here, so it's a
> largely safe environment to try stuff out and see what works and what
> doesn't.
>
> "Practice makes perfect" and all that.

Try "practice makes permanent" and you'll be nearer the mark. ;-)

And hey, I've actually /met/ a tiny few of the people on here, so...
(Damn, if only I could remember their names!)

>> Yeah, I'm really not seeing how Facebook is still in business. It must
>> cost /millions/ to run all those servers. And yet, their idea of
>> "targeted adverts" is about as precise as a blunderbuss. It just seems
>> like some day somebody is going to figure out the emperor's magical
>> invisible suite is actually non-existent...
>
> It may well - I understand they use SSD storage exclusively (local
> company here in Utah called Fusion-IO provides the hardware,
> apparently).  It's all about advertising, apparently.  Dunno how they
> manage it with ad blockers and things like the fb purity, but I figure
> that's not my problem.  If it goes away, I likely won't miss it.

It seems to be classic Internet bubble type stuff. Everybody is really
excited about how much money Facebook is going to start making ANY DAY
NOW... and yet, where's the money?

>> My profile is still live on the system. It looks like I'm still a
>> Linked-In user. And yet, I haven't used it in 3 years. So don't use /my/
>> presence as an indicator of usefulness.
>
> Well, you also only have 7 connections, IIRC.  One of the useful things
> to do, though, is to have someone you know introduce you to someone they
> know.  That's how I ended up with an interview in Portland - a colleague
> of mine in Florida knows the HR person at the company I applied to, and
> he introduced me.  Within 2 weeks, I had an in-person interview.

The idea that somebody actually knows the guy who does the hiring just
seems... really, really far-out. I mean, I suppose there must *be* a guy
who does the hiring, and *somebody* must know that guy. But the chances
of actually connecting with that guy seem vanishingly small. It would be
like winning the lottery or something.

Actually, you know what? What /really/ sounds far-fetched to me is that
somebody would know somebody who needs to make a hire, and that person
would think that *I* am even worth mentioning. I have no skills useful
in a workplace. I find it hard to imagine anybody wanting to hire me...

> the latter, I fault them for, because corporate enthusiasm is
> something that can be taught, and to reject a candidate because they
> weren't bouncing off the walls about your product/service even though
> they're highly qualified in the field is just silly.

Yeah, about that...

So in the interview, they always seem to ask you something along the
lines of "what excites you about our company?" or "why did you choose
us?" or something similar.

The desired response, apparently, is some eulogy about how this company
is unparalleled in the industry and how the company's vision will
transform my career or something like that.

Why did I pick this company? The honest truth is obviously "this is all
I could find". I know that. The person interviewing me must, surely,
know that too. (Unless they're a total moron.) And yet, if you say that,
you're instantly removed from consideration. WTF?

I mean, if you were applying to work for *Google* or somebody, yes, you
could legitimately claim to be actually *excited* about the prospect.
But for any other company? It's a job. I need the money. End of story.
It seems silly to have to pretend otherwise...

>> How many of the other profiles are ghosts? I guess that's the opportune
>> question...
>>
>> Regarding Facebook: How many of those profiles are for somebody's cat?
>> ;-)
>
> Far, far too many.  I've got a friend on Facebook who has a page for her
> African Grey parrot and for her dog.  I think her cat also has one, now I
> think about it.

I read an article somewhere about how investors hear that there are X
million accounts on Facebook and they think "wow, if I could just be on
Facebook, I could have X million customers!" Yet these same investors
don't really understand what "be on Facebook" actually means. And most
of those millions of profile are for people's cat, fictional TV
characters, people's children who can't read or write yet, etc. (E.g.,
Jamie's son has a profile. He's 4 weeks old. His mum posts all the
actual stuff...)

Post a reply to this message