POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 9 Jun 2012 10:11:25
Message: <4fd3598d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-06-08 06:18, Invisible a écrit :
> I don't know that there are any sites that do /exactly/ what Linked-In
> does. But there are plenty of sites that let you search humans for
> various reasons. (Exhibit A: Monster.)

Monster is nothing like LinkedIn.  Linked-In is much closer to Facebook
than Monster.

In Linked-in, you are supposed to build a network of contacts (school
buddies, coworkers, family, etc...), which then lets you get introduced
to THEIR contacts, etc... Hopefully helping you on your quest to find a
good job.  E.g.:  There's this guy in your dance classes that works in
accounting at a big company.  You become a contact in LinkedIn. While
taking a break, he mentions the sad state of their IT.  YOu say: "I
betcha I could help improve things."  The next day, you ask him over
LinkedIn to introduce you to his HR rep or IT manager.  you get
introduced, you go on an interview, you may not get hired, but the HR
person knows you exist, and when the time comes to hire an Haskell
expert, she'll have one in her network already.

Just like Facebook or Myspace, LinkedIn lets post blog-like messages;
you can make recommendations on books, seminars, speeches, and other
people's work.  You can also participate in various forums on a variety
of topics.

You can (and could back in 2007, when I joined! so it must have been
there when you did too) also join trade groups, alumni groups, interest
groups, etc...  All have mailing lists that will let you know of other
group members' postings, forum discussions, etc...

> I've noticed, on multiple forums, that I seem to piss people off. I
> guess I'm just a bad human being. In the past, people used to just
> ignore me. Now people talk to me, but only to tell me that I'm an idiot.
> I'm not sure that's an improvement...

I don't think anyone here thinks you're an idiot. You do have a tendency
to make broad assumptions, combined with hyperbole when discussing
topics that you haven't researched properly.  People who know about
those topics will then have a knee-jerk reaction and point out the
errors of your ways.  What irks them is that you appear unwilling to
learn from your mistakes and will continue to argue ad vitam aeternam
why you think there's nothing wrong with your initial impression.