POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 9 Jun 2012 10:27:48
Message: <4fd35d64$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/06/2012 03:11 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2012-06-08 06:18, Invisible a écrit :
>> I don't know that there are any sites that do /exactly/ what Linked-In
>> does. But there are plenty of sites that let you search humans for
>> various reasons. (Exhibit A: Monster.)
>>

> Monster is nothing like LinkedIn. Linked-In is much closer to Facebook
> than Monster.

Both LinkedIn and Monster let you search for humans for work-related
purposes though. That was the comparison I was going for.

> In Linked-in, you are supposed to build a network of contacts (school
> buddies, coworkers, family, etc...), which then lets you get introduced
> to THEIR contacts, etc... Hopefully helping you on your quest to find a
> good job. E.g.: There's this guy in your dance classes that works in
> accounting at a big company. You become a contact in LinkedIn. While
> taking a break, he mentions the sad state of their IT. YOu say: "I
> betcha I could help improve things." The next day, you ask him over
> LinkedIn to introduce you to his HR rep or IT manager. you get
> introduced, you go on an interview, you may not get hired, but the HR
> person knows you exist, and when the time comes to hire an Haskell
> expert, she'll have one in her network already.

That's a great story. Pity I don't know anybody like that...

> Just like Facebook or Myspace, LinkedIn lets post blog-like messages;
> you can make recommendations on books, seminars, speeches, and other
> people's work. You can also participate in various forums on a variety
> of topics.
>
> You can (and could back in 2007, when I joined! so it must have been
> there when you did too) also join trade groups, alumni groups, interest
> groups, etc... All have mailing lists that will let you know of other
> group members' postings, forum discussions, etc...

1. I had no idea that any of this functionality existed.

2. I'm not really sure how you would use such functionality to do
anything "useful". (Not that I'm saying you can't, I'm just saying I'm
not sure how.)

>> I've noticed, on multiple forums, that I seem to piss people off. I
>> guess I'm just a bad human being. In the past, people used to just
>> ignore me. Now people talk to me, but only to tell me that I'm an idiot.
>> I'm not sure that's an improvement...
>
> I don't think anyone here thinks you're an idiot. You do have a tendency
> to make broad assumptions, combined with hyperbole when discussing
> topics that you haven't researched properly. People who know about those
> topics will then have a knee-jerk reaction and point out the errors of
> your ways. What irks them is that you appear unwilling to learn from
> your mistakes and will continue to argue ad vitam aeternam why you think
> there's nothing wrong with your initial impression.

Being mistaken is common enough. Failing to learn from your mistakes? I
think that probably /does/ qualify somebody as an idiot.

Alternatively, somebody phrased it like this:

   "Every man is a damned fool for five minutes of every day. Wisdom
resides in not exceeding this quota."