POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prelude to a puzzle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Prelude to a puzzle (Message 61 to 70 of 78)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Prelude to a puzzle
Date: 21 May 2012 04:54:37
Message: <4fba02cd@news.povray.org>
>> Clearly I'm going to have to figure out how to get my hands on
>> professional tuition...
>
> Private lessons might be the best way to go.  Not sure what pricing is
> like now, but a lot of professional musicians do offer private lessons
> (you could also look for University music students who give private
> lessons - often times those will be less expensive and the instruction
> will be good enough to get you going).

I'll see what I can find.

>> I enjoy doing it. And then the day after, my fingers hate me... ;-)
>
> That sounds about right for the first 6 months or so.

Just like playing the guitar, or probably any other stringed instrument.

>> It must be fantastic to actually be good at something. I can't imagine
>> what that's like...
>
> Actually, you don't have to imagine it.  You're good at some stuff - and
> nobody is good at everything.
>
> You seem to have a good grasp on maths, programming, playing the pipe
> organ (as you said, there's something you play on it that's "wicked hard"
> - so clearly you don't /suck/ at it), writing, and dancing.  And that's
> just from what I've seen you post here about and blog about.

Well, there's being "good at" something, and then there's being "great
at" something.

I can play the Widor toccata - just not very well. I can write computer
programs, but according to Warp and Darren I suck at that. I'm competing
in a national dance competition, but I don't exactly expect to be
bringing home any medals. The list goes on. Basically there's a whole
range of things that I'm vaguely good at, but nothing that's really
going to /impress/ anybody.

It's a pity really, because impressing people seems to be what I'm
hard-wired to want to do...

> It's certainly a truism that the more you know about something, the more
> you realize you don't know everything about it.

I know, right? So you go to a dance class, and you learn the Waltz. And
there are, like, 3 steps in it, and nobody can do it. At all. And
eventually, after a few months, you get to the point where you can do
those 3 steps. And you think "hey, I can Waltz!"

And over time, you come to realise that, actually, to Waltz /properly/,
you're supposed to stand a certain way, hold your arm a certain way,
step in a certain way, sway a certain way, and basically that thing
you're doing is NOTHING LIKE how a Waltz is actually supposed to look.
You can't Waltz, you SUCK at the Waltz! :-/

It seems that everything is like that. When I was a kid, I used to write
computer programs in BASIC, and I thought that made me a programmer.
Then you have people tell you "hey, global variables are evil" and "GOTO
is evil" and "your code is completely non-maintainable" and basically
you realise that you're doing it HORRIBLY WRONG.

It seems in every sphere, the more you learn, the more you realise that
there's so much stuff you don't know that it seems impossible that you
could ever learn it all. You haven't even STARTED!

Truly, the greatest knowledge is in knowing that you know NOTHING.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 21 May 2012 09:54:36 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> I enjoy doing it. And then the day after, my fingers hate me... ;-)
>>
>> That sounds about right for the first 6 months or so.
>
> Just like playing the guitar, or probably any other stringed instrument.

I don't have any experience with the guitar (so Warp will probably
correct me as he does and is pretty good from what I've seen), but I
think with the frets, you don't have to apply as much pressure as you do
on a fretless instrument, so it probably doesn't induce the same amount
of pain or trouble when you're out of practice.

But both probably build the callouses so you don't have the pain. :)

>> You seem to have a good grasp on maths, programming, playing the pipe
>> organ (as you said, there's something you play on it that's "wicked
>> hard"
>> - so clearly you don't /suck/ at it), writing, and dancing.  And that's
>> just from what I've seen you post here about and blog about.
>
> Well, there's being "good at" something, and then there's being "great
> at" something.
>
> I can play the Widor toccata - just not very well. I can write computer
> programs, but according to Warp and Darren I suck at that. I'm competing
> in a national dance competition, but I don't exactly expect to be
> bringing home any medals. The list goes on. Basically there's a whole
> range of things that I'm vaguely good at, but nothing that's really
> going to /impress/ anybody.

I'm impressed that you're willing to try different things.  A lot of
people who get into your mindset stop trying new things because they're
afraid of failure.  Courage isn't the same as being without fear.
Courage is having fear and doing something anyway, taking the risk to try
something new.

> It's a pity really, because impressing people seems to be what I'm
> hard-wired to want to do...

Most people want to impress people.  The trick is to just keep doing the
thing you like doing and get better at it.  You're only 30 years old -
contrary to what you believe, that doesn't make you an "old man".  You've
got decades ahead of you, and there's a good chance that you'll (a) find
something you feel you excel at, and (b) you'll be good enough at it that
people will say "wow" often.

>> It's certainly a truism that the more you know about something, the
>> more you realize you don't know everything about it.
>
> I know, right? So you go to a dance class, and you learn the Waltz. And
> there are, like, 3 steps in it, and nobody can do it. At all. And
> eventually, after a few months, you get to the point where you can do
> those 3 steps. And you think "hey, I can Waltz!"
>
> And over time, you come to realise that, actually, to Waltz /properly/,
> you're supposed to stand a certain way, hold your arm a certain way,
> step in a certain way, sway a certain way, and basically that thing
> you're doing is NOTHING LIKE how a Waltz is actually supposed to look.
> You can't Waltz, you SUCK at the Waltz! :-/
>
> It seems that everything is like that. When I was a kid, I used to write
> computer programs in BASIC, and I thought that made me a programmer.
> Then you have people tell you "hey, global variables are evil" and "GOTO
> is evil" and "your code is completely non-maintainable" and basically
> you realise that you're doing it HORRIBLY WRONG.
>
> It seems in every sphere, the more you learn, the more you realise that
> there's so much stuff you don't know that it seems impossible that you
> could ever learn it all. You haven't even STARTED!
>
> Truly, the greatest knowledge is in knowing that you know NOTHING.

They say "ignorance is bliss" - and there is a certain amount of truth in
that.  But ignorance leads to lots of bad outcomes as well, and I for one
would rather have a chance at a better outcome than to be blissfully
unaware of facts.

Jim

Post a reply to this message