POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prelude to a puzzle : Re: Prelude to a puzzle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prelude to a puzzle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 May 2012 15:25:44
Message: <4fba96b8$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:04:51 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> I'm impressed that you're willing to try different things.  A lot of
>> people who get into your mindset stop trying new things because they're
>> afraid of failure.
>
> More like, failure is something I /expect/, as a matter of course.
> Success isn't something I see very often...

I think you need to define success as something less than perfection.  It
sounds like you're convinced that anything less is failure - and that's
not true.

>>> It's a pity really, because impressing people seems to be what I'm
>>> hard-wired to want to do...
>>
>> Most people want to impress people.  The trick is to just keep doing
>> the thing you like doing and get better at it.  You're only 30 years
>> old - contrary to what you believe, that doesn't make you an "old man".
>>  You've got decades ahead of you, and there's a good chance that you'll
>> (a) find something you feel you excel at, and (b) you'll be good enough
>> at it that people will say "wow" often.
>
> Heh, well, here's to hoping. Sadly, all the things I try seem to be
> things that don't impress anybody. :-(

You seem to have missed the part where I said that you impress me by the
fact that you're willing to take risks and try new things.

>>> Truly, the greatest knowledge is in knowing that you know NOTHING.
>>
>> They say "ignorance is bliss" - and there is a certain amount of truth
>> in that.  But ignorance leads to lots of bad outcomes as well, and I
>> for one would rather have a chance at a better outcome than to be
>> blissfully unaware of facts.
>
> Agreed.
>
> (Speaking as somebody who's spent most of their life cluelessly unaware
> of everybody laughing behind my back...)

Hyperbole.

Jim