POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prelude to a puzzle : Re: Prelude to a puzzle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prelude to a puzzle
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 May 2012 14:59:14
Message: <4fba9082@news.povray.org>
On 21/05/2012 07:34 PM, Warp wrote:

>    I have never played a fretless instrument so I really don't know, but
> I'm assuming there's not much difference in pressure needed.

I've found that if I don't press all that hard, the strings sound very
muted. Presumably because I have soft squishy fingertips. If the string
was resting against a hard metal fret, that wouldn't matter so much.

But yeah, I don't think there's a /massive/ difference in pressure...

>    Fretless instruments certainly require more precision because pressing
> even slightly on the wrong place will audibly alter the pitch, so you'll
> sound like you are playing a badly tuned instrument.

Oh hell yes! So far, I've spent almost all of my time and effort with
this violin just trying to get the correct pitch. Pro tip: Notes that
are out of tune sound GOD DAMNED AWFUL! >_<

>    On the plus side, a fretless instrument allows much easier and richer
> vibratos and pitch slides that are much more limited in fretted instruments.

And that, of course, is what the violin is famous for... ;-)