POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Epic failure (Message 36 to 45 of 55)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Epic failure
Date: 17 Mar 2012 07:43:21
Message: <4f6478d9@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> >> What Free Speech? There Ain't No Such Animal.
> >
> >    There is, still.

> Where? Please name one country where you can say whatever you like with
> impunity.

  The United States is still somewhat of a bastion of free speech. For
example, you can freely criticize a religion (*any* religion) and eg.
burn their holy book, and it's (still) protected by the constitution.
(Of course, as noted, they are working hard to rectify this "problem"
there.)

> Is it a great idea? Should someone be allowed to say racist and/or
> sectarian things or incite others to hate?

  Absolutely. Free speech means that people are entitled to express their
opinions regardless of whether you agree with them or not. It doesn't
matter how hideous you think those opinions are.

  It's precisely the ideology that "free speech is bad because it allows
people to express the 'wrong' opinions" that's the major driving force
behind the modern movement of limiting free speech.

  When only "politically correct" opinions are legal, that's not free
speech. That's totalitarianism.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Where? Please name one country where you can say whatever you like with
>> impunity.
>
>    The United States is still somewhat of a bastion of free speech. For
> example, you can freely criticize a religion (*any* religion) and eg.
> burn their holy book, and it's (still) protected by the constitution.
> (Of course, as noted, they are working hard to rectify this "problem"
> there.)

Maybe in theory but, as far as I can see, not in practice.
Which politician would think of publicly admitting to condoning abortion?
Who could think of publicly saying that black people were inferior to
whites, even though they believed it?
America also has laws against Hate Crime which include verbal abuse or
insults, or offensive graffiti or letters.
It also has Free Speech Zones where the government may regulate the

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone) The implication being
that outside of these zones you cannot have true free expression.

>> Is it a great idea? Should someone be allowed to say racist and/or
>> sectarian things or incite others to hate?
>
>    Absolutely. Free speech means that people are entitled to express their
> opinions regardless of whether you agree with them or not. It doesn't
> matter how hideous you think those opinions are.

I know what it means but incitement to riot, abuse, offend or commit a

this site for expressing verbal abuse? And were you not a member of TAG
at the time when it was an unanimously supported action to do it?
Have you changed your mind?

>    It's precisely the ideology that "free speech is bad because it allows
> people to express the 'wrong' opinions" that's the major driving force
> behind the modern movement of limiting free speech.

I am not saying that Free Speech is bad. I am saying that Free Speech is
a misunderstood concept and is unworkable in a civilised society.

>    When only "politically correct" opinions are legal, that's not free
> speech. That's totalitarianism.

That is a different kettle of fish. Political Correctness is another
tool used by politicians (whether elected or not) to force their own
opinions on the public. Again, in my opinion.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message