POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic failure : Re: Epic failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic failure
From: Warp
Date: 17 Mar 2012 09:54:47
Message: <4f6497a7@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> Which politician would think of publicly admitting to condoning abortion?

  It's not illegal to do so (at least yet). That's the point.

> America also has laws against Hate Crime which include verbal abuse or
> insults, or offensive graffiti or letters.

  The problem with hate crime laws is that they are extremely subjective,
influenced by (often changing) cultural and political trends, and can be
abused for political reasons (eg. to silence dissenters). Almost invariably
such laws are not applied consistently and equally, but some people are in
practice more protected than others.

> It also has Free Speech Zones

  Which is an oxymoron, really.

  Anyways, what I meant is that the US is one of the few places in the
world where you can still publicly criticize religions and cultures with
impunity.

> I know what it means but incitement to riot, abuse, offend or commit a
> crime is, in my opinion, generally wrong.

  You would have to prove that a speech caused the riot or crime.

> Wasn’t Matt Giwer banned from
> this site for expressing verbal abuse? And were you not a member of TAG
> at the time when it was an unanimously supported action to do it?
> Have you changed your mind?

  This is a private server owned by an individual person. It's this
person's private property. This person can ban whoever he wants for
whatever reason he wants.

  If you want a guest to leave your house, you have all the right in
the world to do that.

--
                                                          - Warp