POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Monitor sizes (Message 21 to 30 of 70)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Hardware sizes
Date: 8 Mar 2012 08:08:37
Message: <4f58af55@news.povray.org>
Aydan <hes### [at] hendrik-sachsenet> wrote:
> The engineers didn't know how to either.
> They had to spend decades to perfect the processes.

  To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's salary.
Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
significantly cheaper.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
> would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's salary.
> Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
> significantly cheaper.

Right. /That/ at least makes some sense. Nobody would buy such a
product, so there's no point trying to make it.

If there was a 64TB HD, I'm fairly certain that somebody would want to
buy it. The only reason it wouldn't sell is if it was too expensive.
Obviously everything starts off expensive - there are design costs to
recoup. But would it be prohibitively expensive?

Post a reply to this message

> Aydan <hes### [at] hendrik-sachsenet> wrote:
> > The engineers didn't know how to either.
> > They had to spend decades to perfect the processes.
>
>   To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
> would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's salary.
> Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
> significantly cheaper.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

A 64GigaByte (Note: You wrote TeraByte) flash drive 12 years ago (wikipedia
claims the first ones were sold in 2000) would not only have been extremely
expensive but extremely bulky as well. I'd say it would have been as big as a
whole computer case. As I said, storage density was low in those times. And I'd
suspect they wouldn't have had a controller capable of adressing that much
memory either.

And terabytes have only become possible since the advent of 64bit addressing I
think.

Post a reply to this message

Aydan <hes### [at] hendrik-sachsenet> wrote:
> And terabytes have only become possible since the advent of 64bit addressing I
> think.

  64-bit CPUs were first developed in the early 90's.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On 03/08/2012 08:13 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 01:08 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>> To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
>> would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's salary.
>> Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
>> significantly cheaper.
>
> Right. /That/ at least makes some sense. Nobody would buy such a
> product, so there's no point trying to make it.
>
> If there was a 64TB HD, I'm fairly certain that somebody would want to
> buy it. The only reason it wouldn't sell is if it was too expensive.
> Obviously everything starts off expensive - there are design costs to
> recoup. But would it be prohibitively expensive?

I wouldn't be able to cite and articles on the subject, but it seems to
me that the mechanical HD is headed the way for the dodo bird

Post a reply to this message

On 03/08/2012 08:35 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 08:13 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 01:08 PM, Warp wrote:
>>
>>> To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
>>> would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's
>>> salary.
>>> Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
>>> significantly cheaper.
>>
>> Right. /That/ at least makes some sense. Nobody would buy such a
>> product, so there's no point trying to make it.
>>
>> If there was a 64TB HD, I'm fairly certain that somebody would want to
>> buy it. The only reason it wouldn't sell is if it was too expensive.
>> Obviously everything starts off expensive - there are design costs to
>> recoup. But would it be prohibitively expensive?
>
> I wouldn't be able to cite and articles on the subject, but it seems to
> me that the mechanical HD is headed the way for the dodo bird

LOL ... finger don't fail me now ... of the dodo bird

Post a reply to this message