POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes : Re: Hardware sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware sizes
From: Aydan
Date: 8 Mar 2012 08:30:00
Message: <web.4f58b3c66a5b69433771cd8e0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Aydan <hes### [at] hendrik-sachsenet> wrote:
> > The engineers didn't know how to either.
> > They had to spend decades to perfect the processes.
>
>   To be fair, they could build a 64TB USB drive. It's just that nobody
> would buy it because it would probably cost more than your year's salary.
> Hence it makes no sense to make one until the technology becomes
> significantly cheaper.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

A 64GigaByte (Note: You wrote TeraByte) flash drive 12 years ago (wikipedia
claims the first ones were sold in 2000) would not only have been extremely
expensive but extremely bulky as well. I'd say it would have been as big as a
whole computer case. As I said, storage density was low in those times. And I'd
suspect they wouldn't have had a controller capable of adressing that much
memory either.

And terabytes have only become possible since the advent of 64bit addressing I
think.