POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes : Re: Hardware sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware sizes
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Mar 2012 09:22:22
Message: <4f58c09e$1@news.povray.org>
>>> I wouldn't be able to cite and articles on the subject, but it seems to
>>> me that the mechanical HD is headed the way for the dodo bird
>>
>> What, forced to extinction by loss of habitat and alien predator
>> species? ;-)
>>

> It was just a metaphor ... I supposed the alien predator would be the
> solid state drive, and now that I think of it the loss of habitat would
> be the new ultra-books ... oh and the MacBook Air

So... oddly apt then? ;-)

I don't know, man. SSD is still too expensive for anyone except
performance freaks. More bafflingly, even though the performance of SSD
should be orders of magnitude superior to HD, apparently some of the
best HDs can actually surpass SSD. That shouldn't be possible, but
somehow it is. I find that utterly bizarre, but those are apparently the
numbers.

Whether SSD will /become/ cheap enough remains to be seen. It's now
available in capacities large enough to actually be useful, so now we
just need the prices to come down far enough.