POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Salesman's dilemma Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Salesman's dilemma (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Salesman's dilemma
Date: 13 Feb 2012 14:56:53
Message: <4f396b05$1@news.povray.org>
So my brother-in-law got into this 'Mila' stuff because a student in the
class my sister teaches brought in a sample bag.  Skeptic that I am, I'd
tried some of it and was all 'fine, I'll have a go at a longer-term
trial' and bought a pound-bag and started consuming 1 serving per day.

One pound (456.6 g) is $55, and a serving is 2 tbsp (13 g).  For myself,
that one serving gives me all the energy I need to be clearheaded and
awake for a standard day-period (had been having major problems with
that for a long time).  Also has a fair amount of nutrients, Omega-3s,
proteins, etc.  It has a lot of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, the
upshot being that it makes me feel full, but has the stuff to compensate
nutritionally, so I've been needing to eat a lot less (and am likely
quite a lot healthier, now).  This, in turn, has saved me...noticeably
more on groceries than the $55 it cost in the first place.  (And the
pound bag I bought on the 7th of January isn't empty yet, when it should
be just about getting that way.  Not sure if I'm skimping on my serving
sizes or what.)

It has a shelf-life of 2-3 years, so that's not a concern...(could be
used as a viable emergency-shelter food, since you can put it in water
and drink that).

Signing up with the company that sells this lets me buy it for cheaper
than that, so...ok.  Saving myself even more money.

I desperately need an income source, and signing up with the company
makes me a distributor (classified as an independent contractor, which
lets the company wash their hands of having to do silly things like
provide employee benefits and such).  The website my membership fee pays
for ( http://www.lifemax.net/TimCook ) handles all the stuff so that
people can buy from it, I get paid $10 per pound sold, and I don't have
to muck about with figuring out all the details of a retail web site.

Well and good.

Here's the punchline, though:  the company selling this stuff has
decided to go with network marketing as their sales approach.  While
distributors are not /required/ to sign up other people to become
distributors and so on, it /is/ *strongly encouraged*.  Their practices
and policies document *does* strictly prohibit unethical or illegal
business practices on the part of distributors, but the tendency of the
cynical people that populate the wilds of the internet is to look at
this, say 'aha!  that's just a pyramid scheme, after my wallet any up to
no good!'.  Except...as far as I can tell, they're completely legit,
utterly lacking in some of the distinguishing properties that define a
pyramid scheme.  For instance, I don't have to sign anybody up as a
distributor.  At all.  I don't have to actually sell any of the product,
let alone an absurd quota (though I do kind of /need/ to, from a
financial standpoint).  Their membership fee?  $50 or $60 for a year,
$30 of that being for running and maintaining the web site that people
can use to buy the product in a way that I get paid.  Last I checked,
that was reasonable for any sort of 'real' web serverness, or
memberships in general.

My dilemma is:  overcoming the perception people have of MLM, to get
across the idea that the Mila itself, as a product, is really quite
great, and to find people on the internet that actually have any kind of
money at all in this day and age because hardly anybody I communicate
with has a stable job.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com