POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two theories about Portal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Two theories about Portal (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Two theories about Portal
Date: 27 Feb 2012 19:31:06
Message: <4f4c204a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/25/2012 3:46 AM, Warp wrote:
>  even air resistance is virtually inexistent because the rod is
> perfectly vertical and falling straight down

At high speeds this won't necessarily hold due to the viscosity of the
air.  A common, and generally accurate, assumption in fluid dynamics is
that fluid velocity along a surface is equal to the velocity of the
surface, and thus the viscosity of the air would lead to potentially
significant drag and the rod would almost certainly have a terminal
velocity well below relativistic speeds.

>    Where is all this energy coming from? Clearly the portal technology itself
> must supply this energy in order to transfer matter from one portal to
> another, and it was supplying all these kilotons to the rod when it was
> falling down. But where does the portal gun get all this energy from?

I've always wanted the answer to be that the power is supplied by the
walls, which is why you can't put a portal on all of the walls.
Unfortunately this seems to be inconsistent with some bits in the game,
so I can't think of an answer better than technobabble magic.

Post a reply to this message