POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two theories about Portal : Re: Two theories about Portal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two theories about Portal
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 27 Feb 2012 23:32:37
Message: <4f4c58e5$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2012 9:49 AM, Warp wrote:
>    I haven't done the math but I assume that if you had a manageable mass
> as a black hole, such as 1 kilogram, it would evaporate in microseconds
> or faster (and still release a rather big amount of energy).

Much faster actually, I believe it'd evaporate in a fraction of a
femtosecond.  As you say, there's pretty much nothing which could
possibly be done to make that anything other than an extremely powerful
bomb.

>    Also if the black hole is not kept constantly charged it could escape
> the magnetic field and fall to the ground, and again it would explode
> (although this time probably somewhere inside the Earth).

I read a science fiction book once with a somewhat similar premise (only
the black hole was larger and non-manmade -- still charged though).  It
was an interesting read partially because the author took some obvious
pains to get the science at least largely correct.  If you listen to
audiobooks, you can listen to it for free:
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/singularity I found it pretty enjoyable,
even if not particularly exceptional.