POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Another day of failure (Message 31 to 40 of 59)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Another day of failure
Date: 2 Mar 2012 15:55:28
Message: <4f5133c0$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/02/2012 02:42 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:10:01 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>>> I used to speed swim - never had a problem with inexpensive goggles
>>> leaking - but the problem that I did tend to have was that they fogged
>>> up.  Even the anti-fogging ones would give me trouble.
>>
>>    There's a lesser-known trick to help that: Before starting to swim,
>> spit on the inside of the goggles (and rub the spit on the inner
>> surface). It's not as gross as it sounds, and it helps surprisingly
>> well. In my experience you might still get a slight amount of fogging,
>> but considerably less.
>>
>>    (I'm assuming human spit creates a protective "layer" that stops
>> fogging.)
>
> ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.

certified diver (navy days) and it worked just fine for me ... matter of
fact that's what everyone else did as well

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Mar 2012 16:36:12
Message: <4f513d4c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/03/2012 21:56, James Holsenback nous fit lire :

>>>    (I'm assuming human spit creates a protective "layer" that stops
>>> fogging.)
>>
>> ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.
>
> certified diver (navy days) and it worked just fine for me ... matter of
> fact that's what everyone else did as well

Not a protective layer, just a wet liquid layer. Fog in goggle is opaque
because it's a distributed noise of liquid points over a dry surface.
Spitting will create a thick film that "glue" to the glass (work better
on glass than on plastic) and that film collects the points of fog.
Being dissolved in the thicker film, humidity does not become
diffracting/white.

Issue of spitting: goggle accumulate a lot of proteins which make the
goggle more opaque. You need to use a bit of dish-washing product with
clear water after usage to get ride of the proteins. (So, it's "spit
before, wash with tension-active after"; Washing with only clear water
is a failure)

Post a reply to this message

On 03/02/2012 04:36 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 02/03/2012 21:56, James Holsenback nous fit lire :

>>> ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.
>>
>> certified diver (navy days) and it worked just fine for me ... matter of
>> fact that's what everyone else did as well
>
> Not a protective layer, just a wet liquid layer. Fog in goggle is opaque
> because it's a distributed noise of liquid points over a dry surface.
> Spitting will create a thick film that "glue" to the glass (work better
> on glass than on plastic) and that film collects the points of fog.
> Being dissolved in the thicker film, humidity does not become
> diffracting/white.
>
> Issue of spitting: goggle accumulate a lot of proteins which make the
> goggle more opaque. You need to use a bit of dish-washing product with
> clear water after usage to get ride of the proteins. (So, it's "spit
> before, wash with tension-active after"; Washing with only clear water
> is a failure)

well, salt water diving will rot your equipment, so yes washing with
something like dish-washing soap is a definite must ... on "The Hawk" we
used to just throw everything in this big tub and someone else did the
"dirty work"

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 15:56:11 -0500, James Holsenback wrote:

> On 03/02/2012 02:42 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>>    There's a lesser-known trick to help that: Before starting to swim,
>>> spit on the inside of the goggles (and rub the spit on the inner
>>> surface). It's not as gross as it sounds, and it helps surprisingly
>>> well. In my experience you might still get a slight amount of fogging,
>>> but considerably less.
>>>
>>>    (I'm assuming human spit creates a protective "layer" that stops
>>> fogging.)
>>
>> ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.
>
> certified diver (navy days) and it worked just fine for me ... matter of
> fact that's what everyone else did as well

Cool, good to know. :)

SCUBA is something I'd always wanted to try, but unfortunately I
perforated my eardrum when I was 14 (diving accident - off the board and
slapped the side of my head on the water - I was able to whistle through
my ear afterwards, but then the pain it...Oh, the pain was *awful*), and
never went any further with it.  I'd done snorkeling a few times and
enjoyed that quite a lot.

Jim

Post a reply to this message