POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of failure : Re: Another day of failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of failure
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Mar 2012 16:36:12
Message: <4f513d4c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/03/2012 21:56, James Holsenback nous fit lire :

>>>    (I'm assuming human spit creates a protective "layer" that stops
>>> fogging.)
>>
>> ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.
>
> certified diver (navy days) and it worked just fine for me ... matter of
> fact that's what everyone else did as well

Not a protective layer, just a wet liquid layer. Fog in goggle is opaque
because it's a distributed noise of liquid points over a dry surface.
Spitting will create a thick film that "glue" to the glass (work better
on glass than on plastic) and that film collects the points of fog.
Being dissolved in the thicker film, humidity does not become
diffracting/white.

Issue of spitting: goggle accumulate a lot of proteins which make the
goggle more opaque. You need to use a bit of dish-washing product with
clear water after usage to get ride of the proteins. (So, it's "spit
before, wash with tension-active after"; Washing with only clear water
is a failure)