POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:56 EDT (-0400)
  iPhone! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: gregjohn
Subject: iPhone!
Date: 27 Jan 2012 12:30:01
Message: <web.4f22dea053616cf0c74d70d80@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
please forgive my lack of jargon).

Post a reply to this message

> I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
> using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
> terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
> constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
> please forgive my lack of jargon).

  Are you making a 2D game or a 3D game?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
> using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
> terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
> constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
> please forgive my lack of jargon).

I've seen stories that there are some commercially successful apps that appear
to be vector art.  I also saw a forum question somewhere (stackoverflow??) where
it was shown how to take a stack of bitmaps and turn into a (button??)
animation. I'm wondering how practical that would be, in terms of size
limitation, to make a game with bitmaps (or some other still/ vid format)?

Post a reply to this message

> I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
> using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
> terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
> constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
> please forgive my lack of jargon).

I understand that the iPhone (and the iPod) use OpenGL, so the
roadblocks are no more than whatever are involved in getting a bitmap
into any other OpenGL application.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> I've seen stories that there are some commercially successful apps that appear
> to be vector art.  I also saw a forum question somewhere (stackoverflow??) where
> it was shown how to take a stack of bitmaps and turn into a (button??)
> animation. I'm wondering how practical that would be, in terms of size
> limitation, to make a game with bitmaps (or some other still/ vid format)?

  I can help you but not without more info on what exactly you want to do.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:
> On 1/27/2012 12:28 PM, gregjohn wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
> > using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
> > terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
> > constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
> > please forgive my lack of jargon).
>
> I understand that the iPhone (and the iPod) use OpenGL, so the
> roadblocks are no more than whatever are involved in getting a bitmap
> into any other OpenGL application.
>
> Regards,
> John

Thanks, all.

I found this iTunes lecture series:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/advanced-iphone-development/id407243032

My semi-stupid question was whether the storage space limitations of an iPhone
were so severe that it would be impractical to use povray to pre-render images
for "the artwork" of any sort of game whatsoever.  Answer is: probably not,
certainly not for a simplistic "angry birds" type of app, and who knows for
something where the game action involves showing a whole lot of pre-rendered art
(still/ anim).