POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone! : Re: iPhone! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone!
From: gregjohn
Date: 3 Feb 2012 12:35:02
Message: <web.4f2c1abcf0ff81a9c74d70d80@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:
> On 1/27/2012 12:28 PM, gregjohn wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've been bitten by the Apple bug and have this idea of making iPhone games
> > using povray, um, for the art.  Does anyone point me to likely roadblocks, in
> > terms of using pre-generated bitmaps/ anims as opposed to something natively
> > constructed in 3D in the Apple system itself?  (About one week into this idea,
> > please forgive my lack of jargon).
>
> I understand that the iPhone (and the iPod) use OpenGL, so the
> roadblocks are no more than whatever are involved in getting a bitmap
> into any other OpenGL application.
>
> Regards,
> John

Thanks, all.

I found this iTunes lecture series:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/advanced-iphone-development/id407243032

My semi-stupid question was whether the storage space limitations of an iPhone
were so severe that it would be impractical to use povray to pre-render images
for "the artwork" of any sort of game whatsoever.  Answer is: probably not,
certainly not for a simplistic "angry birds" type of app, and who knows for
something where the game action involves showing a whole lot of pre-rendered art
(still/ anim).