POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Message 1 to 10 of 57)
From: Warp
Subject: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Date: 26 Sep 2011 10:09:50
Message: <4e8087ae@news.povray.org>
If you have never seen or even heard of this show, but have surfed the
internet enough, you have probably seen images, icons, fan drawings and
such without even realizing they were from such a show.

  I find the cultural phenomenon surrounding this TV show quite interesting.

  What is this phenomenon, you might ask? Well, as the name might imply,
the target demographic for this TV show is, unsurprisingly, young girls.
However, a periphery demographic vastly outnumbers it, namely males between
the ages of about 15 and 35. (Although adult females who enjoy the show also
form a rather large group.)

  What? Has the world suddenly become crazy? Adult males watching an animated
TV show aimed at little girls? Not only that, but the franchise itself
(My Little Pony) is very well known to be extremely girly and feminine. What
madness is this?

  AFAIK the author of this TV show, a revival of the franchise, actually
intended for the show to be enjoyable to everybody, not just the main
demographic. After all, why target only a small minority of potential
viewers when you can target them all? However, I assume she didn't expect
it to become *this* popular among the periphery demographic.

  How do you achieve this feat? By being an amazingly talented writer,
that's how. It *is* possible to make a young girls' show about magical
ponies enjoyable to everybody, mainly via strong characterization and
innocent humor.

  Of course there are those who don't get it at all. Even after watching
a few episodes, or even half a season, they still don't understand what's
so special about it, and find it uninteresting and boring. This is normal,
I guess, but the number of people who do enjoy the show is surprisingly
large. Naturally a small counter-movement of haters have arisen alongside
the fans. Haters gonna hate.

  I found the show enjoyable. It made me laugh, it made me feel emotions.
It's harmless fun. There are definitely much worse thing you could be
watching on TV or online.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    If you have never seen or even heard of this show, but have surfed the
> internet enough, you have probably seen images, icons, fan drawings and
> such without even realizing they were from such a show.

Me and my little sister used to spend quite a lot of our time watching
My Little Pony. And the Carebears, for that matter.

Apparently I'm weird.

I wonder if we still have the Transformers movie on VHS? I might have to
go find that...

Post a reply to this message

> >    If you have never seen or even heard of this show, but have surfed the
> > internet enough, you have probably seen images, icons, fan drawings and
> > such without even realizing they were from such a show.

> Me and my little sister used to spend quite a lot of our time watching
> My Little Pony. And the Carebears, for that matter.

> Apparently I'm weird.

  Note that the "Friendship is Magic" series is somewhat different than
the older MLP shows.

> I wonder if we still have the Transformers movie on VHS? I might have to
> go find that...

  There's nothing shameful or emasculating about liking Transformers. :)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message