POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 536 to 545 of 545)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 25 Oct 2011 17:13:35
Message: <4ea7267f$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/10/2011 05:00 PM, Darren New wrote:

>>> What if they said "We'll give you $150,000 more each year to move to
>>> London"?
>>
>> That's almost a hundred grand in UK currency. Nobody earns that much.
>
> I earn more, and I'm at the low end of the scale for what I do. No, you
> probably won't earn that much because you don't have the experience, but
> maybe you'll get something more significant than what you have now.

I'm sure very few places pay *less* than what I'm earning now. Back when
I was actually having agents contact me, I was asking for roughly twice
what I currently earn - and nobody seemed that surprised by such a
figure. But ten times? That seems a stretch.

>> AFAIK, London is their only UK presence. (Although obviously they
>> themselves would have a better idea than I do.)
>
> Indeed. There are lots of companies that have offices where you wouldn't
> have thought they have an office. Like, the office I'm in now. They
> don't really advertise where they have offices.

Korg's UK headquarters are just down the road from me, in fact.

It's a 1-room office. I've been there.

>> And it's not that I don't ever want to come to London, just that I don't
>> want to do so with any great frequency. Once per month wouldn't be so
>> bad. Once per day would be.
>
> How far away is it? Get a place in London, come home on the weekends, or
> for dancing.

I'm not sure how far it is to central London. I know that my
grandparents live just on the outskirts. It's 40 miles in distance, and
yet it takes between 1.5 and 2 hours to drive there. (!!) I also know
that a train trip is about an hour. (Once you've waited an hour for a
train to actually show up...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/