From: Invisible
Date: 27 Oct 2011 04:12:57
Message: <4ea91289$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/10/2011 09:43 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 9:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> It's been my experience that in far more cases with Windows admins than
>> with those of other systems, "reboot the system" becomes the "fix" rather
>> than trying to troubleshoot it.
>
> Well, yes. I'll grant you that.
>
>> Once upon a time, I worked for a Fortune 50 company with several thousand
>> Windows servers. Informix was running on them, and there was a memory
>> leak. "Reboot the system" was the "fix", to the extent that the reboot
>> was scripted and scheduled to run nightly.
>
> Same with Linux set-top boxes I was working on. Because we didn't have
> the source to the code that was leaking the memory.

> It's not Windows per se, but proprietary software that you can't fix.

One of our production systems is a crappy little thing written in VB.
Roughly once a week somebody over in the USA files a helpdesk ticket
saying "please reboot it". Apparently it leaks memory until it stops
working. Reboot the server and it works again.

(What I can't figure out is why just restarting the program itself
wouldn't fix that...)