From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2011 16:43:49
Message: <4ea87105@news.povray.org>
On 10/25/2011 9:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
> It's been my experience that in far more cases with Windows admins than
> with those of other systems, "reboot the system" becomes the "fix" rather
> than trying to troubleshoot it.

Well, yes. I'll grant you that.

> Once upon a time, I worked for a Fortune 50 company with several thousand
> Windows servers.  Informix was running on them, and there was a memory
> leak.  "Reboot the system" was the "fix", to the extent that the reboot
> was scripted and scheduled to run nightly.

Same with Linux set-top boxes I was working on. Because we didn't have the
source to the code that was leaking the memory.

And indeed, I was working on one Linux server system where they were
catching sigsegv's and outputting "caught a signal!" to stdout, but then not
actually recovering. So I had to pipe the output into a second process *I*
wrote that would grep for that string and send a kill -9 and restart it when
it got stuck.

It's not Windows per se, but proprietary software that you can't fix.

> Now, part of the reason for that was that Informix was taking their time
> fixing the problem

There ya go. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)