POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 376 to 385 of 545)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 16 Oct 2011 18:50:57
Message: <4e9b5fd1$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/16/2011 15:42, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:55:08 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/2011 21:42, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>   >  Are you sure about that?
>>
>> Pretty sure. Certainly people like suing Microsoft more than they like
>> suing open source projects. :-)
>
> You haven't been following the legal battles against Android

Android isn't open source any more. Let me rephrase and say that nobody sues
community-developed open-source that doesn't have multi-billion-dollar
companies backing it.

> Odd that nobody's ever sued Microsoft over that (at least not that I've
> heard of), but somehow there's a threat of that happening with Acrobat
> Reader, apparently.

I'm just guessing. I can't think of any upside to Microsoft trying to run
their own repository if they don't get money from it. On the other hand, in
places where Microsoft takes a cut (a la xbox arcade) they do indeed run the
download servers.

> Installation directories aren't "software management elements" - things
> like dependency resolution are.

That wasn't my point. There *are* dependency resolution things in installs.
Look at ClickOnce or MSI for example. It's just that people might have stuff
on their machine that did *not* come from a repository, and they won't
necessarily know how to fix it if you delete libraries out from under them
after 4 out of 5 applications using that library get uninstalled.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message