From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Oct 2011 23:15:42
Message: <4e9b9dde@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:53:41 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>>> Not /entirely/, no. Many things are subjective, but not all of them.
>>
>> When it comes to user selection of tools, yes, they are.  If I find
>> something easy to use, who are you to tell me "no, that's not easy"?
>
> I think it's safe to say that there are things that are easier for the
> vast majority of people. If 99% of everyone finds A easier than B, and
> indeed if B provides a subset of the functionality of A with more work,
> then B is indeed superior to A.
>
> For example, a UI that locks up the interface for 30 seconds each time
> you insert a CD is inferior to an interface that is identical except
> doesn't lock up when you insert a CD.

It depends on the use case in most instances.  I suppose there are
instances where one could say "yes, shooting yourself in the foot with
a .22 calibre pistol is more user friendly than finding an RPG to do the
job."

However, saying that using Explorer is easier than using find or locate
is ridiculous.  I type much faster than I use the mouse.

Similarly, using voice commands with a phone might be faster for some
people, whereas using the touch interface might be faster for others.
Case in point, a friend of mine and I were looking up a phone number.  He
used his blackberry and tried to say the name of the business.  I used my
android phone and pulled up Google Maps and entered the name of the
business.

I got a result first.

Had he been in a quieter place, he might have gotten a result first.

If he'd been English, though, he might well not have received his results
first no matter what (I have heard from a few Brits that voice
recognition doesn't work so well for them).

There's no objective way to say which is "better" in this case.

Jim