POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 201 to 210 of 545)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 8 Oct 2011 12:50:37
Message: <4e907f5d$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/10/2011 05:34 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Why do you think the initial install of Windows takes so long and
> reboots so often? It's installing a bunch of stuff that you'd otherwise
> have to grab from a repository during installs of other stuff. You get
> .NET even if you're not going to use it, because you might in the future.

On which version of Windows?

(I ask because of the amount of time I've spent installing .NET because
it wasn't already there...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 12:55:15
Message: <4e908073$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 4:08, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I have yet to see a text file change on a Linux system that can hork the
> system up as badly as Microsoft wants you to believe Windows can be
> messed up with a single registry change.

echo > /etc/fstab

> Because with Linux it's pretty rare to have to reboot to affect the
> change.  It's sometimes easier, but to this day, I continue to be amazed
> at how frequently a Windows system has to be restarted.  Twice during
> installation, and if you're applying system updates, sometimes multiple
> times to get everything current (certainly with XP, later versions are
> somewhat better).

Because nobody but Linux weenies care whether they have to reboot their
system to upgrade their software?

> Trivial.  No scripting required.

These are relatively recent tools in Linux, you must admit. UNIX went 40
years before getting such support, and only because it started to get
targeted at less tech-savvy people.

>> If you wanted to do any of this with Linux, you would have a whole bunch
>> of scripting ahead of you. Under Windows, it just takes a few button
>> presses to set up. You just can't do it from the end-user versions of
>> Windows; it requires a server OS. (Three guesses why those cost so much
>> more.)
>
> Wrong, again on the Linux front.  I personally know people who administer
> *thousands* of Linux servers.  I worked for a company that has a product
> to apply updates on a schedule to remote Linux systems.

Is it included standard in Linux? ;-)

But yeah, this stuff happens fine in Linux. Probably easier in Linux than
Windows, actually. I can't imagine the kind of operations Google does in
their data centers working on something proprietary like Windows.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message