From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 13:01:53
Message: <4e908201@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 5:40, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Well, in the days before computer networks, security was pretty much a moot
> point.

Except Windows always had security for network connections. Heck, MS network
connections had security before Windows was even around. It's just the local
machine that didn't have security, because it was a *personal* computer.

> What's UAC? Is that new in Windows 7 or something? (I've only used Vista.)

It's the box that pops up and says "you're trying to run this as an
administrator. Are you sure?"

> It's all too easy to break them though, or to end up with cryptic
> error messages and need to look under the hood to find the "real" error and
> how to fix it.

I never had YaST break something, or mess up manual configurations when I
invoke the GUI.

> whereas the registry typically doesn't.

*Because* you're supposed to be using the GUI. :-)

> Ubuntu seems to contantly want me to reboot when I install updates too. I
> think the problem is more that Windows requires updating more often.

There's more stuff that's "always running" and can't easily be shut down
programmatically under Windows.  If you have some COM server dealing with
some background job that needs to be updated, there's no clean interface to
ask it to exit and restart itself with a new version. UNIX, always having
had background services, tends to make it easier to figure out what needs to
get restarted and what doesn't.

> That's just it. Windows is one product, with one set of management tools.

Well, XP, Vista, and Win7 are all quite different management-wise, methinks. :-)

> The original Unix, as best as I can tell, has almost no management features
> at all. You're supposed to roll your own. So every major distro builder has
> built their own independent system of management tools.

Yes.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?