From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Oct 2011 13:09:29
Message: <4e9083c9$1@news.povray.org>
>> What's UAC? Is that new in Windows 7 or something? (I've only used
>> Vista.)
>
> It's the box that pops up and says "you're trying to run this as an
> administrator. Are you sure?"

Oh. What, you mean EXACTLY LIKE LINUX? Yeah, I can see how that's such
an annoying Windows feature. :-P

Far more amusing is the fact that if you take, say, Notepad.exe and
rename it to Setup.exe, suddenly Vista thinks it needs elevated
privilages to run...

>> It's all too easy to break them though, or to end up with cryptic
>> error messages and need to look under the hood to find the "real"
>> error and
>> how to fix it.
>
> I never had YaST break something, or mess up manual configurations when
> I invoke the GUI.

Really? That's impressive. I've lost count of how many times the nice
shine GUI for something or other has got confused or crashed or whatever
and I had to spend an hour or two reading manpages to figure out where
the *real* configuration files are and how to edit them to achieve what
I actually wanted...

>> whereas the registry typically doesn't.
>
> *Because* you're supposed to be using the GUI. :-)

That was my point, yes.

>> Ubuntu seems to contantly want me to reboot when I install updates too. I
>> think the problem is more that Windows requires updating more often.
>
> There's more stuff that's "always running" and can't easily be shut down
> programmatically under Windows.

RPC.

I have no idea what this service does, but if you ever try to restart
it, Windows crashes. No idea why. (One wonders why they even gave you
the option to restart it in the first place...)

>> That's just it. Windows is one product, with one set of management tools.
>
> Well, XP, Vista, and Win7 are all quite different management-wise,
> methinks. :-)

Really? I haven't used Vista or 7 extensively, but I wasn't aware that
anything had changed...

Regardless, *every* copy of (say) Vista has the same management
capabilities. It's a "standard" part of a Windows system. Which I guess
is just another way of saying "there's more than one Linux distro"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/