POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 161 to 170 of 545)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 8 Oct 2011 00:45:18
Message: <4e8fd55e$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:34:13 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/7/2011 20:54, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Architecturally they're fairly different, though.
>
> Yeah. And architecturally, C++ and Java are different, but if you're
> bored of learning new programming languages, looking at Smalltalk or APL
> might be exciting again. :-)

Well, sure.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2011 00:47:13
Message: <4e8fd5d1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:37:39 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/7/2011 20:44, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> The standard command interpreter in Windows (cmd.exe, not powershell)
>> does pretty much suck.  bash/tcsh are *far* more powerful. :)
>
> That wasn't the point, tho. :-) It doesn't really matter how much your
> CLI sucks if the goal is to avoid using it.  Anyway, wsh is probably a
> better comparison to bash than cmd.exe.

Well, no, it's more about advanced usage.  And CLI in Windows these days
is also for advanced users.

>> But part of the suckage that is the Windows CLI is the registry.  Linux
>> using text files for most configuration means that using the CLI to
>> make changes actually makes a lot of sense.
>
> Windows has no trouble dealing with the registry from the command line.
> Certainly less than trying to parse Apache config files with bash or
> something. For example:
>
> http://216.101.58.3/MIS/Articles/RegistryEdit.htm
>
> Sure, it's an extra install of the free developer tools, but hey.

Like you said, it's an extra install.  sed/grep/awk/perl/vim are standard
tools in most Linux installs.

I can edit text files without installing tools that are non standard.

Jim

Post a reply to this message