From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Oct 2011 05:41:12
Message: <4e901ab8$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/10/2011 05:39 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 20:43, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Sounds *so* familiar. Another reason to use Linux. ;)
>
> How the hell would that help?

Seconded.

> What helped was getting him off dial-up so I could talk to him at the
> same time he's on the net, *and* connect into his computer remotely.

I bought some hardware that lets me remotely connect to my grandparent's
PC. (Unless, you know, the problem I'm trying to troubleshoot IS the
Internet connection...)

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in the firmware. Certain data
packets cause the device to stop functioning. Eventually I was forced to
remove it from my setup because it was pissing me off so much!

Apparently I can buy a cheap Cisco VPN endpoint. If I thought I could
program it, I might even be tempted...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/