From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Oct 2011 05:37:18
Message: <4e9019ce$1@news.povray.org>
>> I especially like the way that installing one GNOME application installs
>> the entire GNOME system, including the GNOME sound daemon. And all I
>> actually wanted to do was run gedit...
>
> Just like installing an app on Windows that requires specific DLLs, which
> require other components, which require .NET 3.5.

If you install something on Windows, one of three things happens:

1. It just installs, and then works.

2. It says "do you want me to download some stuff?" And it does, and
then it installs.

3. It says "I can't install. Please install .NET 2 first".

I've never figured out how to get out of dependency hell in Linux. Like,
you ask it to install one tiny application, and it wants to install an
entire ecosystem to support that. I'm installing a GNOME application
that doesn't require sound. Why the hell do I need to install the GNOME
client/server audio transport system? And the GNOME scanner subsystem?
And the GNOME Samba interface? And Samba? I just want to edit one damned
text file! That's all I'm trying to do! Jesus...

It's even more fun when it decides it needs a different version of
"glibc". I have no idea what that is, but I do know that if you change
it, your Linux will almost certainly never work ever again.

I've never tried to install a Windows application and had to download 8
GB of data, or had my entire Windows installation completely cease
functioning to the point where I have to reinstall. About the worst
thing that can happen is that you need to install the .NET runtime.
(Obviously, this problem is because .NET exists. If we could get rid of
that, the problem would go away.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/