POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 181 to 190 of 195)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 17 Sep 2011 13:32:38
Message: <4e74d9b6$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:37:00 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/16/2011 21:36, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That's fair.  You wrote your reply to a message I wrote, so clearly I
>> thought you were responding to what I said.
>
> I still never specified servers at all, and I only mentioned desktops in
> a disclaimer. :-)

"And I'd argue that if you have a server whose *only* job is being a web
server, then restarting the web server after an upgrade is essentially
the same as a reboot, except faster."

That seems to be the source of the misunderstanding, because you did talk
about servers there.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 9/17/2011 10:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:37:00 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2011 21:36, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> That's fair.  You wrote your reply to a message I wrote, so clearly I
>>> thought you were responding to what I said.
>>
>> I still never specified servers at all, and I only mentioned desktops in
>> a disclaimer. :-)
>
> "And I'd argue that if you have a server whose *only* job is being a web
> server, then restarting the web server after an upgrade is essentially
> the same as a reboot, except faster."
>
> That seems to be the source of the misunderstanding, because you did talk
> about servers there.

Fair enough. Plus that statement applies to any OS, not just Linux. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

On 9/17/2011 10:31, Jim Henderson wrote:
> that I "hate" KDE or GNOME or LXDE or whatever - then I'm obviously not
> using the computer as a tool to get actual work done.

Heh heh heh. I'm definitely going to steal that.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:14:28 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/17/2011 10:32, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I still never specified servers at all, and I only mentioned desktops
>>> in a disclaimer. :-)
>>
>> "And I'd argue that if you have a server whose *only* job is being a
>> web server, then restarting the web server after an upgrade is
>> essentially the same as a reboot, except faster."
>>
>> That seems to be the source of the misunderstanding, because you did
>> talk about servers there.
>
> Fair enough. Plus that statement applies to any OS, not just Linux. :-)

That's certainly true.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:15:21 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 9/17/2011 10:31, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> that I "hate" KDE or GNOME or LXDE or whatever - then I'm obviously not
>> using the computer as a tool to get actual work done.
>
> Heh heh heh. I'm definitely going to steal that.

Feel free. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message