POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 131 to 140 of 195)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 15 Sep 2011 14:18:11
Message: <4e724163$1@news.povray.org>
>> As far as I know, getting X to actually work remotely is extremely
>> difficult, whereas I know from experience that getting VNC to work
>> remotely is trivial.
>
> VNC is also trivially compromised unless you tunnel it over ssh or wrap
> it in ssl.

If the two machines are on the same LAN, this probably isn't a problem.
(And presumably the same applies to X as well anyway...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Sep 2011 14:46:43
Message: <4e724813@news.povray.org>
>>> So I'm lying, then, is that it?
>>
>> OK, let me put it this way: I've never seen any manpage which is
>> anything more than a terse summary of command switches with an
>> incomplete description of what they do. The most in-depth manpage I've
>> seen is for Bash, which is still only a reference document, not an
>> introductory tutorial.
>
> Man pages are not intended to be tutorials.  They're manual pages.

...which is the point I'm trying to make, yes.

>> Then again, sometimes the manpage just says "use info". And then you had
>> /another/ problem...
>
> Well, no, it's not *another* problem - you just need to use the info
> command instead.

Have /you/ tried navigating the thing?

Since I'm guessing the answer is probably "yes", then I don't need to
explain to you how hard it is...

>>> It doesn't say anything about CHAP.  I'm pretty sure it also doesn't
>>> change the password encryption method from AES to Triple-DES as well.
>>> It's not likely to document everything it *doesn't* do, just what it
>>> *does* do.
>>
>> So even with this line, people can *still* authenticate by password.
>
> Not to the best of my knowledge.

I'm fairly sure I tested it, and discovered that I needed to turn off
multiple things to stop it accepting my password as a valid login. But
since that was then and this is now, I guess I might be incorrect.

>>> Host keys aren't very commonly used AFAIK.
>>
>> All three of the SFTP systems we use commercially have them.
>
> A sample size of 3 isn't exactly data supporting "commonly used".

It's infinity times larger than a sample size of zero. ;-)

Then again, one of these systems is set up to use PK authentication, and
the server administrators emailled /us/ with the private key to use to
get access. *facepalm*

Imagine it: Going to all the trouble of setting up a secure system, and
not even knowing how to secure it properly...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Le 15/09/2011 20:46, Orchid XP v8 nous fit lire :

>>> So even with this line, people can *still* authenticate by password.
>>
>> Not to the best of my knowledge.
>
> I'm fairly sure I tested it, and discovered that I needed to turn off
> multiple things to stop it accepting my password as a valid login. But
> since that was then and this is now, I guess I might be incorrect.

Did you at least refresh (aka reload) sshd when updating the configuration ?
Updating the configuration is not enough, the daemon must be flushed to
reload it.

SSH password authentication is just delegating the password to the OS
system... (bad! IMNSHO)

>>> All three of the SFTP systems we use commercially have them.
>>
>> A sample size of 3 isn't exactly data supporting "commonly used".
>
> It's infinity times larger than a sample size of zero. ;-)

Host key are kind of mandatory for server. Unless you want to use ssh
without encryption at all.

> Then again, one of these systems is set up to use PK authentication, and
> the server administrators emailled /us/ with the private key to use to
> get access. *facepalm*
>
> Imagine it: Going to all the trouble of setting up a secure system, and
> not even knowing how to secure it properly...

That's the issue with wrong administrators: they assume people do not
have their own public key, and generate a pair for them... they need a
clue (and some users too!).

covered. If you cannot understand them all, you're out of the trusted.

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm fairly sure I tested it, and discovered that I needed to turn off
>> multiple things to stop it accepting my password as a valid login. But
>> since that was then and this is now, I guess I might be incorrect.
>>

> Did you at least refresh (aka reload) sshd when updating the configuration ?

Is rebooting the machine sufficient to do that?

If so, yes...

>> Imagine it: Going to all the trouble of setting up a secure system, and
>> not even knowing how to secure it properly...
>
> That's the issue with wrong administrators: they assume people do not
> have their own public key, and generate a pair for them... they need a
> clue (and some users too!).

The most mystifying part is, the first time we set it up, they did it
right. Only the second time around did they insist that we use their key...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/