POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Sep 2011 15:11:52
Message: <4e724df8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 15/09/2011 20:46, Orchid XP v8 nous fit lire :

>>> So even with this line, people can *still* authenticate by password.
>>
>> Not to the best of my knowledge.
>
> I'm fairly sure I tested it, and discovered that I needed to turn off
> multiple things to stop it accepting my password as a valid login. But
> since that was then and this is now, I guess I might be incorrect.

Did you at least refresh (aka reload) sshd when updating the configuration ?
Updating the configuration is not enough, the daemon must be flushed to
reload it.

SSH password authentication is just delegating the password to the OS
system... (bad! IMNSHO)

>>> All three of the SFTP systems we use commercially have them.
>>
>> A sample size of 3 isn't exactly data supporting "commonly used".
>
> It's infinity times larger than a sample size of zero. ;-)

Host key are kind of mandatory for server. Unless you want to use ssh
without encryption at all.

> Then again, one of these systems is set up to use PK authentication, and
> the server administrators emailled /us/ with the private key to use to
> get access. *facepalm*
>
> Imagine it: Going to all the trouble of setting up a secure system, and
> not even knowing how to secure it properly...

That's the issue with wrong administrators: they assume people do not
have their own public key, and generate a pair for them... they need a
clue (and some users too!).

From my bad memory, there is at least 5 kinds of attacks that must be
covered. If you cannot understand them all, you're out of the trusted.