POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 15 Sep 2011 20:46:17
Message: <4e729c59$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-09-14 04:40, Invisible a écrit :
>>> So how do you prevent somebody connecting to your server a thousand
>>> times per second and feeding it duff credentials, thereby preventing any
>>> legitimate users logging in, and wasting lots of CPU power?
>>>
>>> See, security isn't so simple...
>>>

>> by having a real firewall (such as the aforementioned Cisco ASA)
>> configured to throttle individual connections. ;)
>
> I'm sorry, I thought we were still talking about "why the average home
> user can't easily send a file to another average home user". :-) I doubt
> many home users will pay hundreds of pounds for a Cisco ASA and spend
> god-knows how long learning what "tee sea pee eye pee" is in order to
> set this up.

The average user will not get DDOSed unless he pissed off the person
DDoSing him.  Even the morons of 4Chan don't DDoS random people for the
lulz.

If you are afraid of a denial of service attack, it means you have
something worth attacking.  Therefore the few thousand dollars spent on
a decent security appliance will be worth it.  How long can your
business withstand being offline before your loses are more than the
price of the firewall?

>> Now the /b/tard in question would have to use zombie PCs to do his DOS
>> against your machine.
>
> Yeah, because none of the script kiddies have figured out how to do
> that. ;-)

Most of them still ask how to download LOIC and act all surprised when
they get a knock on their door.

> Then again, if somebody decides to DDoS you, it doesn't matter if you
> have *no* ports exposed to the Internet... You still get no service.
>
> Sometimes I think it would be nice if there was a widely-supported
> standard for configuring the firewall at the /other end/ of the last
> mile to drop certain packets. But anyway...

A DDoS needs to be extremely big for an ISP to notice one of its
customers is under attack.  And you need a special business relationship
to be able to call them up and ask that they block a certain type of
traffic at the head end.