POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 15 Sep 2011 20:55:47
Message: <4e729e93$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-09-14 16:52, Orchid XP v8 a écrit :

>>> Sure. But I mean, you can set up an application server that more than
>>> one
>>> person can access, without doing anything particularly special.
>>
>> You can do exactly the same thing on Windows that you do on Unix.
>>
>> Log into the windows box remotely. Start an X client and point it at
>> your display. Disconnect without logging out. Someone else logs into the
>> windows box remotely. They start an X client and points it at their
>> display. They disconnect without logging out. Guess what? Windows
>> running X clients talking to two different X servers.
>
> Does anyone, anywhere on Earth, actually run X on Windows?
>
 > I mean, I gather that you *can*. But does anybody actually *do* this?

Yes.

For two reasons.

1) One of the network monitoring software suite I use is an ugly Windows
port of something that was developped for Solaris.  Most of the
configuration tools were written for Motif, and many of the command line
utilities are ksh scripts.  So the 5 servers that run this particular
tool all run not only X11, but a "unix environment for Windows" as well.

2) Other servers I manages ARE running AIX, Solaris or Linux.  so the
only way to run their GUI utilities is by tunnelling X through ssh back
to my PC.  Just like about 100,000 of my coworkers do.