POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Recursion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Recursion (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Recursion
Date: 24 Aug 2011 16:57:18
Message: <4e5565ae$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I just finished watching Inception.

Initial thoughts: MY BRAIN! >_<

Also: I don't think normal people understand recursion...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Recursion
Date: 25 Aug 2011 07:52:43
Message: <4e56378b$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/08/2011 09:57 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> OK, so I just finished watching Inception.

Well, now I can say that I've seen it. I don't think I will ever bother
watching it again. It was certainly an interesting idea for a story. And
the visual effects were pretty stunning. However, the actual story they
made and the way they chose to tell it weren't all that great. Not
/bad/, just not great.

The comparison to The Matrix seems unavoidable. I was worried that The
Matrix would end up being a gratuitous festival of "I'm going to
scramble your brain!" But actually it wasn't like that at all. Certainly
I didn't understand the significance of little detail the first time I
watched it, but I certainly wasn't anywhere near "lost" at any point.
The computer-generated world is pretty fantastical, but both the real
world and the imaginary one clearly follow a well-defined set of rules,
which you gradually come to understand as you watch the film. The way
they manage to explain all this at the same time as telling a story, not
to mention the order in which details are revealed, is stunning.

Inception, on the other hand, is kind of the film that I was worried
that The Matrix would be. Right up to the point at the end where
everybody lives happily ever after but they carefully imply that this
may or may not actually be the real world.

There's no clear delineation of what's real and what isn't. (That's kind
of the whole point.) A lot of the intense action comes across as
hurried, like it would have made much more sense if it happened more
slowly. I didn't get "lost", but from time to time I has having trouble
keeping up. The pacing isn't great; rather than a roller-coaster ride of
ups and downs, it's *all* ever-increasing drama. It constantly seems to
be building up to the final cataclysm, which takes forever to actually
arrive.

And then there's the fact that, at the very centre, it's a overly
sentimental story about True Love and unending regret. Perhaps more than
anything else, the overly emotional touchy-feely stuff puts me off.
Watching the psycho wife from hell just isn't very nice.

Also, the sucky noise that machine makes disturbs me slightly...

On the other hand, I was really impressed with how in the end they get
the guy to convince *himself* to do what they want him to. True
inception. I thought that /was/ rather nicely done.

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but *my* dreams were /nothing like/
the real world. More like a random jumble of essentially unrelated ideas
that make no logical sense at all. I don't see people pointing guns at
me; I see flying pandas and molten biscuits. Every time I look in a
different direction, my surroundings have completely changed. All sorts
of weird stuff happens. And, most baffling of all, all of this seems
PERFECTLY NORMAL to me at the time.

And then I wake up and think "Flying pandas? What the HELL...?!"

Post a reply to this message

> Inception, on the other hand, is kind of the film that I was worried
> that The Matrix would be. Right up to the point at the end where
> everybody lives happily ever after but they carefully imply that this
> may or may not actually be the real world.
>
> There's no clear delineation of what's real and what isn't. (That's kind
> of the whole point.)

I think that's pretty fitting for the plot.

> And then there's the fact that, at the very centre, it's a overly
> sentimental story about True Love and unending regret. Perhaps more than
> anything else, the overly emotional touchy-feely stuff puts me off.
> Watching the psycho wife from hell just isn't very nice.

I found the father-son relationship climax much more touching. And liked
it the way it is.

> Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but *my* dreams were /nothing like/
> the real world. More like a random jumble of essentially unrelated ideas
> that make no logical sense at all. I don't see people pointing guns at
> me; I see flying pandas and molten biscuits. Every time I look in a
> different direction, my surroundings have completely changed. All sorts
> of weird stuff happens. And, most baffling of all, all of this seems
> PERFECTLY NORMAL to me at the time.
>
> And then I wake up and think "Flying pandas? What the HELL...?!"

Heh, I've recently started to dream pretty consistent movie plots now
and then, with a surprising level of detail.

Post a reply to this message

>> And then there's the fact that, at the very centre, it's a overly
>> sentimental story about True Love and unending regret. Perhaps more than
>> anything else, the overly emotional touchy-feely stuff puts me off.
>> Watching the psycho wife from hell just isn't very nice.
>
> I found the father-son relationship climax much more touching. And liked
> it the way it is.

Agreed. That was arguably the neatest part of the movie.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Inception, on the other hand, is kind of the film that I was worried
>> that The Matrix would be. Right up to the point at the end where
>> everybody lives happily ever after but they carefully imply that this
>> may or may not actually be the real world.
>>
>> There's no clear delineation of what's real and what isn't. (That's kind
>> of the whole point.)
>
> I think that's pretty fitting for the plot.
>
>> And then there's the fact that, at the very centre, it's a overly
>> sentimental story about True Love and unending regret. Perhaps more than
>> anything else, the overly emotional touchy-feely stuff puts me off.
>> Watching the psycho wife from hell just isn't very nice.
>
> I found the father-son relationship climax much more touching. And liked
> it the way it is.
>
>> Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but *my* dreams were /nothing like/
>> the real world. More like a random jumble of essentially unrelated ideas
>> that make no logical sense at all. I don't see people pointing guns at
>> me; I see flying pandas and molten biscuits. Every time I look in a
>> different direction, my surroundings have completely changed. All sorts
>> of weird stuff happens. And, most baffling of all, all of this seems
>> PERFECTLY NORMAL to me at the time.
>>
>> And then I wake up and think "Flying pandas? What the HELL...?!"
>
> Heh, I've recently started to dream pretty consistent movie plots now
> and then, with a surprising level of detail.
I depends on if you tend to be a lucid dreamer, or just the normal
"random" sort. The later however is generally not "aware" of being in a
dream on any clear level, so the inconsistency shows up due to having
literally zero control. For a lucid dreamer, its different, more
consistent and logical, closer to a movie (at least for me). Not to say
I don't get thrown through loops some times, and find something either
not going as I want, or repeatedly forcing some pattern in that I know I
don't want, and try to rewrite, without any success. But, that tends to
be fairly rare, since it mostly.. go with the flow, while nudging things
more or less in a particular direction. lol

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Aug 2011 04:03:38
Message: <4e57535a@news.povray.org>
>>> And then I wake up and think "Flying pandas? What the HELL...?!"
>>
>> Heh, I've recently started to dream pretty consistent movie plots now
>> and then, with a surprising level of detail.
> I depends on if you tend to be a lucid dreamer, or just the normal
> "random" sort.

On a scale of one to ten, "lucid dreaming" sounds like the most
terrifying thing imaginable...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2011 13:22:33
Message: <4e57d659@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:03:37 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Heh, I've recently started to dream pretty consistent movie plots now
>>> and then, with a surprising level of detail.
>> I depends on if you tend to be a lucid dreamer, or just the normal
>> "random" sort.
>
> On a scale of one to ten, "lucid dreaming" sounds like the most
> terrifying thing imaginable...

Personally, I find it quite enjoyable.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Aug 2011 13:26:33
Message: <4e57d749$1@news.povray.org>
>> On a scale of one to ten, "lucid dreaming" sounds like the most
>> terrifying thing imaginable...
>
> Personally, I find it quite enjoyable.

According to scientists, we dream every single night, but some of us
rarely remember our dreams. And personally, not remembering my dreams is
COMPLETELY FINE WITH ME! Every time I dream, I have the kind of highly
disturbing dreams that make me afraid to sleep for months afterwards...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2011 13:30:09
Message: <4e57d821$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:26:21 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> On a scale of one to ten, "lucid dreaming" sounds like the most
>>> terrifying thing imaginable...
>>
>> Personally, I find it quite enjoyable.
>
> According to scientists, we dream every single night, but some of us
> rarely remember our dreams. And personally, not remembering my dreams is
> COMPLETELY FINE WITH ME! Every time I dream, I have the kind of highly
> disturbing dreams that make me afraid to sleep for months afterwards...

That would explain your reaction to the idea, certainly.

But I have a feeling that the ones you remember are the disturbing ones,
but the ones you don't remember aren't disturbing at all.  I find that
the ones I remember are the ones that have fairly strong imagery, just
not always disturbing.

The flying dreams are the ones I have the most fun with - I have those
quite frequently.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Aug 2011 16:07:35
Message: <4e57fd07@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2011 6:26 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> According to scientists, we dream every single night, but some of us
> rarely remember our dreams. And personally, not remembering my dreams is
> COMPLETELY FINE WITH ME! Every time I dream, I have the kind of highly
> disturbing dreams that make me afraid to sleep for months afterwards...

I've taught myself to wake up when I have dreams that I don't like.
I'm not too sure how I do it but it is a deliberate decision.

--
Regards
     Stephen