POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Password difficulty (Message 28 to 37 of 37)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Password difficulty
Date: 16 Aug 2011 19:05:32
Message: <4e4af7bc@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2011 11:17, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:09:01 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>> Personally, I think the most /realistic/ way to gauge password strength
>> is to see how long it takes real, commonly-available password crackers
>> to break your password.

> Arguably that's the most accurate way, but not the most realistic way.

However, I know a number of corporations that will try to crack your
password each time you change it and if they can, they'll make you change it
again. You just get an email after a couple days saying "change it or get
locked out."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:05:31 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/11/2011 11:17, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:09:01 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>>> Personally, I think the most /realistic/ way to gauge password
>>> strength is to see how long it takes real, commonly-available password
>>> crackers to break your password.
>
>> Arguably that's the most accurate way, but not the most realistic way.
>
> However, I know a number of corporations that will try to crack your
> password each time you change it and if they can, they'll make you
> change it again. You just get an email after a couple days saying
> "change it or get locked out."

Yeah, that's a different approach - and not necessarily a bad one.

Jim

Post a reply to this message