POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty : Re: Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Password difficulty
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2011 04:17:49
Message: <4e4ccaad$1@news.povray.org>
>> Since Windows XP and higher use Kerberos, a protocol designed by people
>> who have a clue, I'm guessing this kind of stupidity is gone now...
>
> Well, I remember in Windows Server 2000 (with the first release of AD)
> that there were circumstances where NTLM authentication would be used
> instead of Kerberos, and it wasn't always predictable.  So you could
> actually end up with a real authentication nightmare in a distributed
> environment

Ah yes. I think I recall there may have been some difference between how
Windows NT and Windows XP authenticate. Maybe that's the issue I was
remembering...

I haven't seen this problem in a long time. Then again, I haven't tried
to set a really long password. (And I doubt anybody else has.)

I also have a vague recollection that NTLM didn't like certain
characters in a password. But I don't remember which ones.