POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty : Re: Password difficulty Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Password difficulty
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Aug 2011 18:06:21
Message: <4e4c3b5d$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/08/2011 09:18 PM, Warp wrote:

>    For a very long time unixes used only 8 character passwords at most.
> (You could write more, but everything after the 8th character was ignored
> and could thus be anything.)
>
>    I think most modern unixes have lifted this limitation.

If I'm not very much mistaken, obsolete versions of Windows did
something similar. Like, when you *set* your password, it uses only the
first 14 characters and ignores the rest, but when you *enter* your
password for authentication, it uses all 14 characters...

...in other words, if you set a password containing more than 14
characters, you just locked yourself out of the network. Until you
figure out that by typing only the first 14 characters, it lets you in
again. Like, WTF?

Since Windows XP and higher use Kerberos, a protocol designed by people
who have a clue, I'm guessing this kind of stupidity is gone now...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/