POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Today's WTF moment (Message 25 to 34 of 64)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Today's WTF moment
Date: 5 Sep 2011 13:47:06
Message: <4e650b1a@news.povray.org>
On 9/5/2011 8:52, Invisible wrote:
> Yes, but under /normal/ circumstances, it boils at 100°C, which is
 why it's
> defined that way. :-P

No it doesn't. At 100°C, it's in equilibrium. Just like at 0°C,
 it's neither
getting more frozen or less frozen.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Sep 2011 14:29:21
Message: <4e651501$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:52:50 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> On 05/09/2011 04:43 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:35:45 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>>   that water freezes at 0°C (actually no, it
>>> doesn't) and boils at 100°C
>>
>> It also doesn't always boil at 100C - reduce the atmospheric pressure
>> and see when it boils.
>
> Or increase it. Or add impurities. Or whatever.
>
> Yes, but under /normal/ circumstances, it boils at 100°C, which is why
> it's defined that way. :-P

Not here at 4,000 feet - "normal" circumstances here have it boiling at a
slightly lower temperature. :P

IOW, it all depends on how you define "normal".  (Hence my suggestion of
reducing the atmospheric pressure, because here, lower pressure is
'normal').

Jim

Post a reply to this message