POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment : Re: Today's WTF moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF moment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2011 01:27:32
Message: <4e65af44@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:32:49 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Yes, but under /normal/ circumstances, it boils at 100°C, which is why
>>> it's defined that way. :-P
>>
>> Not here at 4,000 feet - "normal" circumstances here have it boiling at
>> a slightly lower temperature. :P
>
> 96.2°C, a piffling 3.8° lower.

Which is still not 100C no matter how you slice it.  The difference in
humidity, altitude, and other things makes cooking things that require
precise measurements (usually baked goods) slightly different than at
other altitudes and in other conditions.

>> IOW, it all depends on how you define "normal".  (Hence my suggestion
>> of reducing the atmospheric pressure, because here, lower pressure is
>> 'normal').
>
> This is why the /actual/ specification is far more complicated. But for
> any sane real-world purpose, you can more or less ignore such
> technicallities.

Baking is a real-world purpose.  An awareness of the 'normal' as well as
'current' environment are, for some things, absolutely *critical* in
order to be successful.

Jim