POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment : Re: Today's WTF moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF moment
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Sep 2011 04:03:57
Message: <4e65d3ed$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/2011 06:25 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:12:15 -0400, Alain wrote:
>
>> You can have water that stay liquid down to -10°C and possibly even
>> less. You need a container with very smooth surface and no particles in
>> suspention. In this state, a vibration can be just enough to cause
>> almost instant crystalisation.
>
> Which is actually quite cool

I see what you did there.

I've got a box of hand warmers at home. They contain a super-saturated
solution (of what I don't know). Once you provide a nucleation point,
the whole lot crystallises within a few seconds. It also gets quite warm
in the process. (This is what makes it good for warming your hands.)