POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Ossified (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Ossified
Date: 16 Jul 2011 03:39:15
Message: <4e214023$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/07/2011 07:00 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> On the other hand, what is
>> considered "decent" and what counts for "respect" varies wildly by
>> culture.
>
>    That's true, but this is Italy we are talking about, not some exotic
> niche culture in some isolated place.

Granted. (Although I thought the details said Czechoslovakia, not
Italy...) It still seems pretty weird to me.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: andrel
Date: 16 Jul 2011 09:19:46
Message: <4E218FF3.8080708@gmail.com>
On 16-7-2011 8:03, Warp wrote:
> Francois Labreque<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:

>>>     Isn't that quite disrespectful of the dead?
>>>
>> Different cultures have different traditions, I guess.
>
>    We are talking about Italy here, not an isolated exotic culture somewhere.

Indeed we are talking Italy here. What makes you think that 19th century
Italians did think the same as a Finish guy in the 21st century? Other
than assuming your point of view is a general standard for civilized
people because everybody you know thinks like you.

I don't mean that unfriendly. Most people, including myself, assume that
their own view is shared by almost every well educated person. But, as I
said, that is because almost everybody we know is from our own culture.
I know a couple of people the age of my parents that have remarked that
somewhere in the 60s they suddenly discovered that there lived a
sizeable amount of protestants in the Netherlands. I.e. the Roman
Catholics discovered that, the protestants found out about the Roman
Catholics.

BTW this was also why I remarked about the heads of heads of department.
That was also Italy. A tradition (IIRC) older than this chandelier.
I assumed you would be shocked if you found out that in Austin Texas
they had the stuffed head of Dijkstra on display. (I would only be
surprised). Apparently there are indeed different cultures in the
western world.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

> Indeed we are talking Italy here. What makes you think that 19th century
> Italians did think the same as a Finish guy in the 21st century? Other
> than assuming your point of view is a general standard for civilized
> people because everybody you know thinks like you.

  I don't think 19th century Italians thought like 21st century Finns.
I think 19th century Italians had a pretty catholic culture, seeing that
catholicism has existed there for over a millenia, and I have never heard
decorating churches with dead bodies was part of catholic tradition. (Of
course not being a catholic myself, I could be wrong.)

> I assumed you would be shocked if you found out that in Austin Texas
> they had the stuffed head of Dijkstra on display. (I would only be
> surprised). Apparently there are indeed different cultures in the
> western world.

  Well, what do you expect from a backwoods southern hillbilly state? ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Indeed we are talking Italy here. What makes you think that 19th century
>> Italians did think the same as a Finish guy in the 21st century? Other
>> than assuming your point of view is a general standard for civilized
>> people because everybody you know thinks like you.
>
>    I don't think 19th century Italians thought like 21st century Finns.
> I think 19th century Italians had a pretty catholic culture, seeing that
> catholicism has existed there for over a millenia, and I have never heard
> decorating churches with dead bodies was part of catholic tradition. (Of
> course not being a catholic myself, I could be wrong.)

I don't think this is about Catholicism, it is about a subculture at a
certain place at a certain time. Just as wearing a headscarf or female
genital mutilation or honour killings are not part of Islam, just of
certain cultures that also happen to be (mostly) Islamic. Which does not
mean that within those cultures there are people who would claim different.

>> I assumed you would be shocked if you found out that in Austin Texas
>> they had the stuffed head of Dijkstra on display. (I would only be
>> surprised). Apparently there are indeed different cultures in the
>> western world.
>
>    Well, what do you expect from a backwoods southern hillbilly state? ;)

I would have used the name of one of your professors at your university,
had I known them and if they were deceased, but I think you got that.