POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: andrel
Date: 16 Jul 2011 09:19:46
Message: <4E218FF3.8080708@gmail.com>
On 16-7-2011 8:03, Warp wrote:
> Francois Labreque<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:

>>>     Isn't that quite disrespectful of the dead?
>>>
>> Different cultures have different traditions, I guess.
>
>    We are talking about Italy here, not an isolated exotic culture somewhere.

Indeed we are talking Italy here. What makes you think that 19th century
Italians did think the same as a Finish guy in the 21st century? Other
than assuming your point of view is a general standard for civilized
people because everybody you know thinks like you.

I don't mean that unfriendly. Most people, including myself, assume that
their own view is shared by almost every well educated person. But, as I
said, that is because almost everybody we know is from our own culture.
I know a couple of people the age of my parents that have remarked that
somewhere in the 60s they suddenly discovered that there lived a
sizeable amount of protestants in the Netherlands. I.e. the Roman
Catholics discovered that, the protestants found out about the Roman
Catholics.

BTW this was also why I remarked about the heads of heads of department.
That was also Italy. A tradition (IIRC) older than this chandelier.
I assumed you would be shocked if you found out that in Austin Texas
they had the stuffed head of Dijkstra on display. (I would only be
surprised). Apparently there are indeed different cultures in the
western world.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.