POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: andrel
Date: 16 Jul 2011 11:24:08
Message: <4E21AD19.4070903@gmail.com>
On 16-7-2011 15:30, Warp wrote:
> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>> Indeed we are talking Italy here. What makes you think that 19th century
>> Italians did think the same as a Finish guy in the 21st century? Other
>> than assuming your point of view is a general standard for civilized
>> people because everybody you know thinks like you.
>
>    I don't think 19th century Italians thought like 21st century Finns.
> I think 19th century Italians had a pretty catholic culture, seeing that
> catholicism has existed there for over a millenia, and I have never heard
> decorating churches with dead bodies was part of catholic tradition. (Of
> course not being a catholic myself, I could be wrong.)

I don't think this is about Catholicism, it is about a subculture at a
certain place at a certain time. Just as wearing a headscarf or female
genital mutilation or honour killings are not part of Islam, just of
certain cultures that also happen to be (mostly) Islamic. Which does not
mean that within those cultures there are people who would claim different.

>> I assumed you would be shocked if you found out that in Austin Texas
>> they had the stuffed head of Dijkstra on display. (I would only be
>> surprised). Apparently there are indeed different cultures in the
>> western world.
>
>    Well, what do you expect from a backwoods southern hillbilly state? ;)

I would have used the name of one of your professors at your university,
had I known them and if they were deceased, but I think you got that.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.