POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Old fart? (Message 21 to 30 of 117)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Old fart?
Date: 17 Apr 2011 10:49:56
Message: <4daafe14$1@news.povray.org>
>> Right now I don't need to look anything up. My point is that every
>> time I've
>> needed to find something out, I haven't been able to.
>
> I don't mean to offend, but you've demonstrated many times here that you
> aren't really very good at looking things up. Maybe it's not the
> product's fault? (Maybe it is, sure, but without a specific example, I'm
> actually going to err on the side of my own experience.)

Obviously I don't happen to have a specific item to hand for the
purposes of this argument. But there's been plenty of times when I've
wondered "where the hell is the button for X?" or "what does this option
mean?"

As I say, I especially like how in Windows 2000 (I think) they added a
new UI element: a little "?" button next to the close button. The idea
being that you click this button, and then click anything in the window,
and it brings up a description for the thing you just clicked.
Apparently the description for every such thing is "no help found".
Gotta love that, eh?

>> That's like saying "housing isn't overpriced at all; have you seen the
>> price
>> of buying Buckingham Palace?!"
>
> "Overpriced" and "insanely expensive" are different things. You just
> seem to never have gotten used to the fact that commercial software
> costs money. $200 for a commercial program isn't expensive. $20,000 is
> expensive.

Meh. I remember when you couldn't *get* software without paying money
for it! :-P

$20 for a word processor isn't expensive. $200 is.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Obviously I don't happen to have a specific item to hand for the purposes of
> this argument. But there's been plenty of times when I've wondered "where
> the hell is the button for X?" or "what does this option mean?"

My memory is that when you ask, most people can find an answer for you in
the docs with a tiny bit of searching.

> Apparently the
> description for every such thing is "no help found". Gotta love that, eh?

I had indeed noticed that. Note that the same UI element carries over in the
libraries to this day, in the form of a Help URL on every widget. :-)

> $20 for a word processor isn't expensive. $200 is.

I think it depends on what the word processor does. There are free ones,
there are inexpensive ones, and there are expensive ones. So use the free one.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message