POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Apr 2011 04:08:55
Message: <4dabf197$1@news.povray.org>
>> In short, almost nothing is documented. I find this extremely
>> frustrating.
>
> Now it's been years since I had to seriously look up a Windows error
> code, but it at least used to be that the MS Knowledgebase was pretty
> good about having the things I needed (usually STOP error codes).  Maybe
> that's changed since I switched to Linux; the last Windows thing I did
> was set up a 2008 server and XP clients for our mobile testing centre,
> but I don't use Windows if I don't have to (as you probably know by now).

STOP messages you can usually look up. (Almost all of them mean
"something happened which is never supposed to happen. Go check your
hardware and device drivers." But then, I guess that's the nature of a
kernel failure...)

>> The Commodore 64 came with an extensive (yet surprisingly small) user
>> manual
>
> Yes, the C64, with only 64 KB of memory and a 1 Mhz (more or less)
> processor was a much simpler machine from a much simpler time.
> Similarly, the Model T Ford was a lot simpler than the hybrid Ford
> Focus.  That should really not be that surprising. ;)

By contrast, the GHC user manual expects you to already know Haskell,
and its description of the non-standard language features you can enable
is "go read this PDF research paper describing the theoretical
motivation and technical underpinnings of this feature". Still, GHC
doesn't cost money...