POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Apr 2011 12:11:30
Message: <4dac62b2$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/18/2011 1:02, Invisible wrote:
> There was a time when searching the manual meant, you know, actually turning
> pages. I think back when MS used to *print* the manual, they perhaps put
> more effort into making it worth the paper it's printed on. From what I've
> seen, today if you ask for help in the latest version of Office, it just
> takes you to a publicly editable wiki. Great...

Yeah. MS and everyone else seems to have been going downhill in this regard.
Is Apple as bad, or is their documentation (for programmers) actually useful
and all?

I think programming has turned into a social endeavor, where who you follow
on twitter is as important as having read the manuals.

>> I think it depends on what the word processor does. There are free ones,
>> there are inexpensive ones, and there are expensive ones. So use the
>> free one.
>
> In reality, MS Word is /the only/ word processor that anybody ever uses. I
> tiny few people might use OpenOffice these days, but most people have never
> heard of it. To them, a word processor = MS Word.

So, then, obviously not too expensive.   If the only car out there cost
$100,000, you'd find people finding alternatives.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like